Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Windows 10 crashes with blue screen while using Power BI Desktop

Due to professional reasons, I have started using Power BI Desktop on Windows 10 x64 version 1909.  I have a lenovo laptop with 8 GB RAM and i7 processor. The application starts without issues and I can work for a while loading data from excel tables and performing queries and reports. After a while I observe that the RAM usage gets significantly high (1.8 to 2 GB) and at some point everything blocks and windows crashes with the blue screen and error code  DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. I had never seen that screen before in the laptop that I am using.

I contacted the technical support of Microsoft and with remote desktop they took several steps to resolve the problem, among others update of the drivers, compatibility troubleshooting,  memory and disk checks, even an in-place upgrade in case there were system files corrupted. Nothing unfortunately has worked out and I am quite desperate since I cannot perform my work.  

I have searched the forum and I found a similar topic 3 years ago but there is no concrete solution to the problem. I would be surprised if it was just me having this problem. 

Currently installed version: 2.79.5768.721 64-bit (March 2020), but I have tried also with the December 2019 version and the same problem occurs. 

I would be grateful for some feedback and advice.

Thank you!

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @ckarm

It looks like you already created a support ticket, right? Please contact the ticket owner for help if you have any issues. 

It would be better if you could share the solution here once the issue is resolved, which will benefit other users who have the same issue. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

ckarm
Frequent Visitor

Hello everyone.

I have finally found out what was causing the problem. It was the Glasswire firewall that I have been using on my computer. Apparently the firewall service that runs on the background has some bug and causes the BSOD when the computer's is put under heavy use.

After stopping that service, the problem disappears and I can use Power BI Desktop without problem.

So, I hope I have managed to spare the trouble from others that might be facing the same issue and have Glasswire firewall installed.

Regards