Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Why is the On Demand Refresh faster than Schedule Refresh

Hi Team,

We have been noticing that when we hit Refresh now on the dashbaords , it finishes fast like within 2 minutes vs a scheduled Refresh takes about 14 minutes .

What is the difference between these as they should have more or less the same time 

Comments
rrr3521
Frequent Visitor

Hi - 

I'm experiencing the same issue.

I'm wondering if this is happening for Premium users, too. 

We only have Pro, so they put us on a shared server. And with many other scheduled dataset refreshes on the shared server at the same times, perhaps that's what causes things to slow down? I don't know.

I've tested the data refresh using the data refresh API and it is faster that way than the scheduled approach.

Since there's no solution for this yet, we will be switching our scheduling to use these API's instead.

We are using PowerShell scripts described here

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @rrr3521:

I'm pro user too, so I'm sorry that I could not provide you with help.

Thanks so much for sharing your solution!

Sincerely,

Chen

Anonymous
Not applicable

Experienced the same in multiple tenants. On demand refresh takes only like 1/10th of the time.

RémiDubois
Regular Visitor

Problem happens for my customers as well

1 minutes for manual refresh in service

14 min for scheduled...

Hopefully this gets an answer at some point/some visibility in community !

Br,

R.

luxpbi
Helper V

Same problem for me. It would be great to understand that difference.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same problem for me. Also, the Salesforce data dissappears with the scheduled refresh but not with the refresh on demand...

jnelsoncpath
Regular Visitor

Same for me.  I am refreshing SharePoint lists that display in Power BI as data tables with only a couple of columns and under 20 rows.  Manual refresh takes 2 seconds.  2 seconds.  Auto refresh is a minimum of 10 minutes and its gone all the ay up to 55 minutes.  Again we are talking about hardly any data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did anyone ever figure this out?

appsac
Advocate I

I just reported this issue to Microsoft Support.  A support guy called me from India.  I could barely understand him.  He wanted to remote into my computer, which I thought was odd since this issue is happening on the PBI Service, not my computer.  He tried to convince me that the scheduled refresh takes longer because it doesn't have a "direct connection" to my on-prem database servers.  That makes no sense.  The refresh now process goes through the Gateway just the same as a scheduled refresh process.  Anyway, it's a problem that I hope Microsoft will address soon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@appsac  I agree with you, his explanation is not so reasonable. I think there must be a Queuing mechanism thing when updating the report via scheduled refresh.