Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Why is the On Demand Refresh faster than Schedule Refresh

Hi Team,

We have been noticing that when we hit Refresh now on the dashbaords , it finishes fast like within 2 minutes vs a scheduled Refresh takes about 14 minutes .

What is the difference between these as they should have more or less the same time 

Comments
AnthonyM

Same issue here! 

1 minute for On Demand, and 10 minutes for On Scheduled
My datasource is Oracle

appsac
Advocate I

Here is explanation from Microsoft Support:

"The scheduled refreshes in shared capacity are smoothed in a period of 1 to 15 mins. This is designed in this way to avoid to have a tons of refresh at 9am and nothing at 9:15 am."

Basically, Microsoft spreads out the scheduled refresh jobs at the top and bottom of the hour so they don't all run at the same time.  So, you may think your job starts at 9am, but in reality it is starting a few minutes later, maybe 9:12 am.

Microsoft should give us more possible run times than top and bottom of each hour.  I'm happy to schedule my jobs to run, for example, at 47 minutes past the hour.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue here.

I think Microsoft should allow us to see what the real time was spent.

I really miss one important info here:

• scheduled refresh time - we have
  • started refresh time (real) - we dont have (why not?)
  • finished reshed time - we have

Showing that a scheduled refresh setup to start at 9, has actually started at 9:14, and has finished at 9:16,  is not correct. It took 2 minutes (real minutes) to run, instead of 16 as shown.

silentthread

I had the same exacty problem. I noticed that if I put it in a different workspace I don't have that problem.  It has something to do with workspace capacity, which is ridiculous.  Try it and let me know if it helps.

tinachen0616

Hi all, it's 2021 now. Any update on this issue? 

I have the same problem where on-demand refresh took less than 30 seconds but scheduled refresh took 10 minutes. 

Screen shot of refresh history below:

Capture1.PNG

appsac
Advocate I

I think the issue with scheduled refresh is that it does not start at the top or bottom of the hour, even though that's the time you have chosen.  For example, you schedule a daily refresh for 6:00 am.  It goes into a queue at 6:00, but it can take 15 + minutes to start.  However, when you do a manual refresh, it starts immediately.  This is a limitation of shared capacity model.

taurusbi
Frequent Visitor

Same issue here - anyone find a resolution for this after 5 years?
Datasource: Snowflake, BI model on Import mode

Screenshot 2022-01-20 121322.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Keeping the dream alive.  Same issue here. 

On Demand: 4minutes

Scheduled: 18 minutes

Data source is a Synapse Workspace.    I cant understand why this is not being taken seriously.   At a minimum it should be documented an noted on the scheduler and metadata provided for when the actual run time started.  Frustrating.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another question for MS or anyone who has experience; what about if you use the API to start the PBI refresh?  Does it actually start when the API calls it or does it "smooth"?