Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Why do I have to change powerbi.js reportEmbed to rdlEmbed for my Paginated Report to work

How do I get my Paginated Report to work without changing powerbi.js to use rdlEmbed instead of reportEmbed?

I am trying to make AppOwnsData for .NET Core work with my Paginated Reports.

Using PowerBI-JavaScript powerbi-client, I call powerbi.embed(reportContainer, config) and I get "This content isn't available.".

var config =
{
	type			: 'report'
,	tokenType		: models.TokenType.Embed
,	accessToken		: txtAccessToken						
,	embedUrl		: txtEmbedUrl							
,	id				: txtEmbedReportId						
,	permissions		: permissions
,	settings		:
		{
			background: models.BackgroundType.Transparent
		,	bars	:
				{
					actionBar		:
					{
						visible	: false
					}
				}
		,	panes	:
				{
					pageNavigation	:
					{
						visible	: false
					}
				}
		}
};

var reportContainer = $("#report-container").get(0);

report = powerbi.embed(reportContainer, config);

If I change the following powerbi.js code to use "rdlEmbed" instead of "reportEmbed" it works.

Line 6521

Create.prototype.getDefaultEmbedUrlEndpoint = function () {
return "reportEmbed";
};

Line 8623

Report.prototype.getDefaultEmbedUrlEndpoint = function () {
return "reportEmbed";
};

The Paginated Reports were SSRS Reports that I opened in Power BI Report Builder and Published to the Power BI Service.  The reports use Direct Queries and have Parameters.

Upgrading did not help:

- Microsoft.PowerBI.API 3.21.0 to 3.23.0

- PowerBI-JavaScript 2.16.5 to 2.18.0

The accessToken and embedURL work in the Microsoft Power BI Embedded Playground.

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

there is a similar icm and get this from it:

embed request used for paginated reports starts with /rdlEmbed and not with /reportEmbed.

Power bi embedded use different API to handle common power bi contents and paginated report. 

Regards,

Lin

DJBadinN
Regular Visitor

Hi,

1. Why do I have to Hack Microsoft's code, PowerBI-JavaScript powerbi-client?
    1. I don't want to maintain a variant of code I do not own.
  2. How do I get Microsoft make it work?
  3. Am I doing something wrong to not make Microsoft's code to work for me?
DJBadinN
Regular Visitor

I found this link that helped me resolve my problem, Unable to embed paginaged report in Power BI Embed Gen2, thanks sabrina_pbi.

Originally a couple months ago I started with sample code from Microsoft, PowerBI-Developer-Samples / .Net Core / Embed for your customers / AppOwnsData.

Since my discovery, I checked and the AppOwnsData was updated 10 days ago to support Paginated reports by removing the bootstrap implementation, Merged PR 153913: [.Net Core AppOwnsData Sample]: Provide support for… … paginated reports