Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

What-If Parameter - default value textbox formatting

When creating a what-if parameter of decimal number data type in Power BI Desktop there is an inconsistency in formatting of min/max value and the default value. For min/max textboxes the formatting is taken from DAX settings in Options and Settings - Options of Power BI Desktop. For default value textbox the formatting from Windows applies.

Example:

1. I have Polish regional format set in Windows (comma as a separator for decimals).
  2. I have recommended settings for DAX in Power BI Desktop (comma as list separator, dot as decimal separator).
  3. I create the following what-if parameter:
    What-if parameterWhat-if parameter
  4. I'm getting the following measure as a result:
    My Parameter Value = SELECTEDVALUE('My Parameter'[My Parameter], "0.5")
  5. The measure, because of the default value for SELECTEDVALUE function (somehow the value 0.5 from the default value textbox is treaten as text, not reflecting settings for DAX formatting), is of text data type which requires additional effort to make the measure usable in what-if scenario.

Expected behavior: all textboxes in What-if parameter window should align to the settings for DAX formatting.

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

The default value is the default result of the measure, you can create a card visual and drag the measure to the card as below, then the default value 0.5 will be shown in the card visual.

Capture.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuta-msft 

I perfectly understand what the default value stands for (notice I even mentioned and highlighted in red the defaul value in My Parameter Value measure). The problem is in the way a textbox for defining the default value in What-if Parameter window works. It ALWAYS works based on format settings from Windows (even if you set DAX to work with English-based separators), which is inconsistent with the way other textboxes work. And if the default value is classified as Text data type, the whole measure is also classified as Text and you are not able to change the format of the measure and any related measures.