Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Webview2 possibly causing PowerBI Desktop to freeze when applying measures/filters

I have enabled the new infrastructure feature that replaces CefSharp processes by Edge Webview2 in order to test it out and I had to disable it because it caused PowerBI Desktop to freeze on both computers I'm using.

Hi @FireFighter1017 

I’ve tested in January 2022 Power BI Desktop, but I couldn’t repro this issue. May I know whether this issue keeps happening or just happens occasionally? Are you using the latest version of Power BI Desktop? Will your colleagues get same issue if they enable WebView2 on their machine?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
MiraNi
Advocate III

We have the same type of issue after installing December version. Refresh against dataset in service seems to work in live report but when I try to make any changes in report for example changing measures in visual, it freezes and I have to kill it. I saw, that WebView2 was taking a lot of memory constantly using more and more. 

I tried the workaround and unselected Preview feature "Power BI Desktop infrastructure update", after Power BI Desktop started using CefSharp instead of WebView2. After that, everything worked until the next day after rebooting the computer, the same issue was back. And it wasn't caused by WebView2 so I don't know, what is really the root cause here.

When I went back to November version, everything works - without and with "Power BI Desktop infrastructure update".

FireFighter1017
Advocate II

Crashed twice in the last hour.

I killed the once that went into visual refresh mode (little balls going round).

I got several  crash report prompts, which I sent.

The other instance that was running became completely grey.  Can't see anything.  The whole screen becomes grey when I focus on this instance.

I had to kill it too.

Here's what my task manager looked like after it froze up and before I killed both instances: 

FireFighter1017_0-1644940531661.png

The second instance you see there, with the most active processes , this is the one that froze Power BI completely right after I changed the measure in one of the visuals.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @FireFighter1017 ,

Thanks for your reply! I understand. Please create a support ticket in Power BI Support. Microsoft support engineer with have a remote session with you to collect the necessary info to troubleshoot on this issue.

It couldn’t be better if you post the root cause and solution here once you get them from the support engineer to help others encounter similar issue. Thanks in advance!

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

mlong
Advocate I

So glad that others are expereincing the same freezing issue since the Dec 2021 release. I keep hoping the next version will fix this but it is still prevalent in the February 2022 desktop release. 

Issue: Power BI Desktop completely freezes when trying to modify a visual or select a slicer in Power BI Desktop while live connected to dataset on PPU. 

Please investigate and resolve this bug Microsoft!

Red217
Helper III

The Edge version works slower with much more "froze" , i moved back to the CefSharp for now