Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Webview2 possibly causing PowerBI Desktop to freeze when applying measures/filters

I have enabled the new infrastructure feature that replaces CefSharp processes by Edge Webview2 in order to test it out and I had to disable it because it caused PowerBI Desktop to freeze on both computers I'm using.

Hi @FireFighter1017 

I’ve tested in January 2022 Power BI Desktop, but I couldn’t repro this issue. May I know whether this issue keeps happening or just happens occasionally? Are you using the latest version of Power BI Desktop? Will your colleagues get same issue if they enable WebView2 on their machine?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @FireFighter1017 

I’ve tested in January 2022 Power BI Desktop, but I couldn’t repro this issue. May I know whether this issue keeps happening or just happens occasionally? Are you using the latest version of Power BI Desktop? Will your colleagues get same issue if they enable WebView2 on their machine?

Best Regards,

FireFighter1017
Advocate II

@v-cazheng-msft ,

I can't install January version (managed by IT)

And disabling Webview2 haven't helped so far.

I now only can use PBI Desktop on my pîmped desktop tower and it still fails sometimes when I keep a pbix file openned over night.

I'm working on reports using Live Dataset connection to published Datasets on a Power BI Service Premium workspace.  I think it might have something to do with that because any other reports that aren't using live Dataset connections don't seem to crash that often.

FireFighter1017
Advocate II

I just found out that January realese is not actually "released" yet.

How do you expect me to test it?

FireFighter1017
Advocate II

I'm currently using December version and I can't keep working through the day without having to kill Power Desktop app and restart.

Because of that I'm back to old paranoya mehtods of saving after every changes I make.

And deactivated Webview2 a couple of weeks ago.

Is anyone from Microsoft still monitoring this or am I talking to myself?

Fro88er
Helper IV

My PBI desktop is also crashing on the Dec release.  I am in the process of rolling it back to Nov because of the frequency of the desktop crahing (loosing all the work building reports). 

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi All,

You could get January 2022 Power BI Desktop from official download center: Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center. Please try it. If you still have problem with it, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

FireFighter1017
Advocate II

Thanks for the reply  @v-cazheng-msft ,

I have uninstalled/reinstalled December version from the official download center (going through links from the Power BI service page)

So far, I haven't had to kill/restart PowerBI once.  It's been at least 24hrs.   Normally I would have killed it 3-4 times.  I could hardly accomplish anything.

I have used Microsoft Store to uninstall/reinstall it last time.

Could be something wrong with the way the Microsoft Store installs the product?

If it starts acting up again and I didn't get the January update from automatic updates, I will use your download link.

Thanks

FireFighter1017
Advocate II

Hung up twice in the last hour.  Had to kill it both times.

I'm installing 2022/01 version

FireFighter1017
Advocate II

hmmm... this looks funny:

I have just installed the version from the link you sent @v-cazheng-msft .

When I open the about page, it keeps saying December 2021.

The version number seems to correspond to the version we see on the dowload page

FireFighter1017_0-1644434264551.pngFireFighter1017_1-1644434276680.png

FireFighter1017
Advocate II

Nah, didn't change a thing even with the link you supplied.

Crashed trice in the last 30 min.