Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Web data source connection

Hello.

I choose the highest security level in Internet Explorer.

And after that try to refresh Power BI Desktop report on web data source.

I get an error and advised to change an option in Internet Explorer.

After changing that option everything works.

And that is question:

Internet Explorer and Power BI Desktop are different programs.

Why security choices for web surfing by Internet Explorer and security choices for Power BI Desktop web data sources must be the same ?

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@Emil_Yusifov ,

Power bi web connector use the same protocol as IE browser so the change in IE will affect power bi. 

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-connect-to-web

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Emil_Yusifov
Regular Visitor

Hi, 

I hope things change during future development.

It is obvious that the real security level is the minimum or the worst security level of potential trouble points.

Existing approach terminates security level difference. It is not good solution, I think. 

And that is why :

First off all, sometimes we may want to lower overall security level for particular case goal. For example to make work some online tool.

And also, users may have different preferences over security levels of web browsers and professional web data source used by PBI.

The security tools must worry about providing the same level of security in different usage cases. Apply specific tools, something like PBI Privacy tools.

Best

Emil

v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@Emil_Yusifov ,

Thank you for your suggestion. You can submit your idea here to let power bi team know this idea. Your contribution will be appreciated.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao