Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Web URL Action opens in Popup Window

Having just changed to the May release of PBIRS our links in reports that open via a Web URL Action open in a Popup Window.

On IE11 this results in the window not being resizable so the opened report is barely visible.

This wasnt occuring in the January Release.

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@EFFalcon ,

I will do further analysis on this issue and update here soon.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

b-b-e

I've experienced this issue too.  I've tracked it down to the offending line of code:

case 5: return r !== k.WebUrl ? [3, 6] : (v = t.webUrl, jsCommon.UrlUtils.isValidHttpUrl(v) && (g = window.open(v, "_blank", "noopener,noreferrer"), g && g.focus()), [3, 14]);

Basically it's an IE bug/feature which you can verify for yourself by running:

window.open(someUrl, "_blank", "noopener,noreferrer")

from the IE11 console.

If you were to include the word "resizable" in the third parameter to window.open() then the problem would go away, but we'll leave that to the Power BI team 🙂

An alternative workaround for the time being is to change the default behaviour for tabs in IE11 to always open in a new tab (rather than a new window):

b-b-e_0-1595580896176.png

alxdean
Advocate V

I can confirm this issue. Only started with MAY 2020 Update. Web URL links are now being treated as popups. really annoying as we are using weblinks to navigate between different reports.

npnigro
Advocate III

I'm noticing now web links are opening in a popup with an address bar and other basic features of the browser. I don't think that's expected for external links in dashboards. I don't recall this being the behavior previously. I'm using the latest Microsoft Edge.