Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

We couldn't import data from Excel Workbook

I'm facing an issue as per screen shot. I tried importing excel file from Power BI service. Get Data -> Files -> Local Files -> Import. Anyone had faced same issue? Can help to provide solution? Thanks

ExcelIssue.jpg

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@tracy

What is the content in your excel workbook? I can import a simple excel file which only includes a table in it successfully.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

tracy
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-haibl-msft, I should've tabulated my data in excel file first. After I transformed the records into a table format, I was able to import it.

But, after importing I noticed that you can't create measures or add columns at the Power BI online dataset. Sources are directing to use Power BI desktop. But, that way we won't be able to refresh records peridocally, am I correct?

How do I schedule refresh if I'm going publish from Power BI desktop after customizing my dataset? I'm using Power BI Pro. 

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@tracy

We can only create measures and columns in Power BI Desktop but cannot do it in Power BI Service.

After you publish the report from Desktop to Service, you can schedule refresh with gateway. Please refer to this document.

Best Regards,

Herbert