Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Visualizations are cached, even after dataset refresh

I have a dataset in Import Mode. (So I believe this is not related to "cache refreshing" for DirectQuery mode.)

The dataset's only datasource is Redshift. The dataset is published to the Power BI Service, in Premium capacity, with many related reports. The dataset is refreshed every 2 hours.

I have noticed that sometimes, when a user is viewing a report, they do not see the latest data. They seem to be seeing a cached version of the visualization(s). They need to click the "Refresh" button in the toolbar of the Power BI Service, in order to get the latest data.

Often this happens with what I call "Scenario A:" the user opens a report in the morning. They leave the page open in the browser for more than 2 hours, so that the dataset has refreshed in the meantime. Then, they look at the page again, and it is still showing the data from before the last dataset refresh.

I think that Scenario A is understandable – I would expect the user would have to either click "Refresh" in the Power BI Service, or refresh the page in the browser, in order to see the latest data. (Although it would be nice if Power BI somehow refreshed the data automatically!)

However, this also happens in "Scenario B:" the user opens a report in the morning. Then, they navigate away from that report, or close that tab in the browser, or exit the browser altogether. Then, more than 2 hours later, after the dataset has refreshed, they go into the Power BI Service and click to open that same report again. But still, they are shown the data from before the last dataset refresh.

Please help! I really think that Scenario B should never happen. Shouldn't the Power BI Service know that after a dataset refresh has occurred, it should not load a cached visualization that was cached before the dataset refresh?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @kevhav,

Which browser do you use? Have you tried in different browsers?

Does the issue happen to other reports as well? 

Have you checked refresh history? Is refresh successful? 

If you click on Refresh button in report page, is data updated? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

kevhav
Continued Contributor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Chrome on Mac, for sure. Maybe other browsers/platforms, too.

Yes, this happens with many reports.

Yes, this happens after a successful refresh.

Yes, clicking the "Refresh" button in the report page causes the data to be updated in the report(s).

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @kevhav,

I would suggest you create a support ticket to get dedicated support. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered