Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Viewer Role can't see data

In the new workspace our Viewer role can't see any data although they have Row-Level Security acces. They get the following notification: 

OUTLOOK_2019-07-01_17-13-29.png

When I change the role into Contributor, Member or Admin they can see the data according to the Row-Level Sequrity.

Is it possible to show the data to the Viewer Role according to the Row-Level Sequrity?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Based on my test, if I define a RLS role with a filter like below, then add a user as a member of this role and grant this user Viewer role in the app workspace, the user is able to view the report with only Europe data. 

w3.PNG

From internal trace, I find the error "The query encountered security filters on a table relationship that cannot be reconciled for the current user. Please contact your administrator or developer to review role memberships and security definitions". How did you define the filter in RLS role? Please define a simple filter like ours then test again to see if the issue still occurs. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft ,

Thank you for the comment! I don't think the DAX expression is the problem, because when I test the Viewer-Role in Power BI Service I can see the data. But when the end-users with the Viewer-Role test the data they do not see any data and they get the notification.

I hope you have any other ideas how to solve this problem.

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Raoul

Datasulting
Regular Visitor

This error occurs when the authenticated user is part of two different roles in the Row Level Security configuration for the dataset in powerbi. This can be the case when you use security groups to assign roles if the connected user is part of two groups with different roles (Powerbi can't tell which role to apply)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft 
I am also facing the same issue  .Any solution.

as per @Datasulting  user is not part of two security group.We have security groups which has viewer role assigned.

Appreciate the help

vnl3
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue. The RLS has been properly designed and none of the users have been added more than once. However, if I assign them to any other role, the affected parties are then able to see all the content. Please advise.