Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Very slow load time (Evaluate, Waiting for server)

Hi 
I have just started facing this problem recently. i need to pull about 7.5M rows (15 columns, 8 are date/numeric). My Dataset is likely to grow to 14.5/15M rows by the year end. 

I get my data from a SQL view with a simple select *. But pulling into PBI is very slow: following steps take after 1st time load take:

1. Evaluating: 15 mins

2. Waiting for "server name": 12 mins

3. loading rows: 12 mins

However, when loading same dataset with 15 columns (reducing text columns) 1st time takes like 2 hours. Other team member pulls about 24M rows with similar columns but her load time is fairly quick. I am a pro user.

Also i have set up a gateway on my personal machine, which works fine for smaller datasets (upto 2.5M rows datasets havent had troubles). but I got this error description with my 7M rows (35MB file report)

error.PNGThanks

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @shaherbano

Please refer to this document to optimize your data model: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-reports-performance

From your description, it looks like the personal gateway runs on a different machine from the SQL database server. Please contact your network admin check if there is any network issue when the error occurs. You can take a look at this document: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-reports-performance#gateway-best-practices

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

shaherbano
Employee

Thank you for the response. I will go through both. Personal gateway on my machine as currently due to limitations i cant install on the Server. but when i refresh my desktop file, why do 7.3 Million rows take 1 hour ?

These times are refreshing PBI desktop file: 

1. Evaluating: 15 mins

2. Waiting for "server name": 12 mins

3. loading rows: 12 mins

My dataset will reach max of 15M rows, with about 15 columns out of which 8 are numeric/date. How many rows or file size can PBI handle ? I do most calcs in DAX to avoid importing extra columns. 

Thank you for your help and for this amazing product.  

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @shaherbano

You can check query performance of pbix file in Power BI desktop by SQL profiler

To see which visual takes a lot of time to render, you can turn on Performance Analyzer, then click on Refresh button. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu