Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Using Blank Query when creating Dataflow gives error

When making a new Dataflow, using the blank query option with a custom connector I continously get the following error:

"We encountered an error during evaluation. Details: Something went wrong while retrieving details for the on-premises data gateway. Please try again later."

Yet there is no issue with the Gateway/custom connector as publishing reports from Power BI Desktop to Power BI Online works fine. How can we get this to work?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Currently, the dataflow doesn't support all of data sources. Which data sources do you want to connector. Please check if the data source is supported for dataflow based on this document: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dataflows-data-sources

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft  Hi, thanks for the response. I am using the blank query with a custom connector that is based on ODBC, I also tried it with ODBC and I run into the same issue. And as far as I can see from the provided link "connectors you can currently use by copying and pasting the M query into a blank query:" ODBC is in that list.

tbrennem

I'm having this problem too.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

Please ensure the same ODBC data source already created in Manage Gateways section. Then please create a dataflow with Blank Query, select the specific gateway which has ODBC data sources created. If the same issue occurs, I would suggest you create a support ticket to get help. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft I have done what you mentioned. Unfortunately, I do not currently have a Power BI Pro account as I am testing utility and so I cannot open a support ticket.

PerrigoNVanLent
Frequent Visitor

For us, a user can create a BW dataflow if they are set as an admin on the gateway, but they get this error if they are just a user of the BW datasource in the gateway.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not an admin on our Gateway, but I am a user.  I can connect to any other data source using our Gateway, except 'Blank Query'.  Our Gateway is listed, and the databases are and do have user accounts on the databases, yet I cannot complete a data connection using 'Blank Query'.  

CE
Regular Visitor

We are having the same issue.

A "User" of an enterprise gateway connection (type is Oracle) can create a DataFlow using the Oracle connection type using the existing gateway connection with no problem. The cached "[Encrtyped]" Username and password are used - the user does not have to enter them.

However, because there are so many tables, the user has to wait several minutes for the table list to load. So, she decided to use the "Blank Query" connection type and enter a valid M Query to avoid having to wait for the table list to load (as when using the Oracle connection type)

After entering the valid M QUery and selecting the gateway, the user receives an error ("Please specify how to connect"). When the user clicks on the "Edit credentials" button, the dialog is already populated with the correct Connection kind, [Encrypted] Username, and masked passwrord (as if the service has found the correct gateway connection based on the conection information in the M Query).

Nevertheless, the user re-enters the credentials, but then recieves another error message:

Only admins of an on-premise data gateway can create connections. To use this connection, switch to an on-premise data gateway that you are an admin of, or ask your on-premise data gateway admin to add you as a user of this connection.

However, the user is already a user of the connection.

So, it's as if the service is saying, "I found an existing Oracle connection on the gateway that exactly matches the connection information in your query, but I'm going to prompt you for credentials anyway. But when you try to provide them, I'm going to refuse to accept them since you're not a gateway admin."

Finally, if one of our gateway admins goes through this exact same scenario, they will likewise be prompted for credentials, but the service will accept them, and the data is loaded. However, no addtional (new) gateway connection is observed when looking in the Service under the Manage Gateways page.