Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Users with Multiple Roles Error

We are experiencing the same issue as reported here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Users-with-multiple-security-roles-suddenly-can-t-see-data/...

The Power BI service is throwing an "SecurityFilteringBehavior=Both" error on all visuals for RLS users linked to multiple roles. There are no bidirectional security filters present, after checking in Tabular Editor and the relation editor in Powr BI. It happens on all datasets that have the same users in different roles in RLS. Those assigned a single roles experience no issues.

For us this behavior is new and has worked until a week or so ago. I have not been able to resolve it other than having non-overlapping roles as a workaround.

Hi @bjkoning-bince 

May I know whether the tables in your report coming from two or more separate data sources? If so, what kind of connect mode did you used to connect to these data source? Import or Direct Query? I found a similar issue reported internally but I need to confirm whether these two issues are completely same.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @bjkoning-bince 

May I know whether the tables in your report coming from two or more separate data sources? If so, what kind of connect mode did you used to connect to these data source? Import or Direct Query? I found a similar issue reported internally but I need to confirm whether these two issues are completely same.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

bjkoning-bince
Advocate I

Hi @v-cazheng-msft ,

• The reports are connected to a Power BI dataset on a Premium capacity workspace.
  • The data in the dataset is loaded from a single SQL Server data source.
  • All tables in the dataset are set to Import mode.
  • We have some tables (or table-like structures) defined locally in the dataset as well, these are used for configuration parameters, measures, and calculation groups.

Thanks for investigating!

bjkoning-bince
Advocate I

I've been able to reproduce and narrow down the issue. The affected table that is included in the RLS rules has a many-to-many one-directional relation with our central Fact table (and one-directional security as well). Removing this filter in RLS removes the issue with overlapping roles and users - be it that the RLS is not filtering appropriately. The RLS also works when removing the many-to-many relationship and rewriting the RLS DAX filters based on the disconnected table. 

It seems like the way additive RLS works changed, rather than giving a unioned result set it throws and error when roles have "conflicting" filters on many-to-many tables regardless of the type of filter (security or regular). As said we have had no issues with this in the past.

henripe
Regular Visitor

Experiencing the same issue as well

jobosol
Frequent Visitor

We are having the same issue as well. 

If we open the modell in a older version of Power BI Desktop it works fine, but in the December version and in Power BI Service it throws a error relating to  "SecurityFilteringBehavior=Both relationships".

NeilCampbell

Yeah, we are receiving the exact same error unfortunately. We have members that can be apart of 1 or 2 roles.

The relationship from our RLS table to our dim_company table is -

Cardinality: many to many
Cross Filter Direction: Single (RLS filters dim_company)

We spent a fair bit of time working through this solution originally. Has anyone found a workaround until this is fixed?

EmilyC

Experiencing this same issue, and it is causing significant impact to our users.

Hoping that a solution can be found quickly!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Team,

We are experiencing the same issue again. Is there a planned fix for this? 

This is impacting our users all over the globe

thanks

jobosol
Frequent Visitor

We created a ticket with Microsoft. 
They were aware of the problem and the internal product team is working on it to get it fixed, but we didn't get any ETA on when the fix would be released. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

One more strange observation is that you were earlier able to select multiple role in Power BI service under 'Test as Role' option. Now you can select only 1 at a time

Also this is observed only in cases where the visuals are referring to any many-to-many relationship, in the model.

But that certainly is not a work-around as all of the many-to-many relationships can't be worked through or deactivated and work with a separate DAX written on the table for RLS.