cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Users can't see content for Power BI app report in (modern) SharePoint

Hi,

 

I was training a user on how to use PowerBI today. We have a a report, which is published to the server and is part of a verified app, so users without a PowerBI pro license can view it. The user had Row Level Security (RLS) the same as other users and the user profile was the same as other users also.

 

When we started the training it was observed that the date format (dd/MM/yyyy) had changed to (MM/dd/yyyyy). This appeared to be related to the user using Chrome, so the user moved to MS Explorer and the date issue resolved. However it was noted that on all of the tabs it was as though something was filtering the data so that not all of the data could be seen. I had one other user last week complain of a similar issue, where they could only see one of four data sets suggesting RLS limiting access, even though they were granted full access under RLS.

 

Today's user also faced similar data issues. We tried updating to remove all filters and used the PowerBI (browser) reset to default, to remove any issues arising from operator set filters, however this had no effect. In one instance, one of the tabs had no data at all when it should have been quite full. I have looked at computer settings and user profile settings, but to no avail. The data refresh date was exactly the same as the data I was looking at, but in one instance (for example) where I had a value of 89, they had a value of 68 for the "same" settings. Evidently something was happening as some of the filter controls had disappeared, suggesting that a filter was applied to it, but would not reset, nor could the filter be found.

 

The report is comparatively large (by our standards) with 21 tabs, but normally runs well.

 

The report is refeshed daily and published, but cannot be refreshed server side as the databases used by it currently do not support the API, or gateway technologies.

 

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Status: New
Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

 

Do you mean the issue occurs when users view the embed report via publish to web feature in sharepoint?

 

Does the issued date display in slicer or other visuals? Would you please share some screenshots so we can understand the issue better? 

 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

 

I don't know how this finished up with the heading "Users can't see content for Power BI app report in (modern) SharePoint" nand I am not sure how to change this. the issue is NOT in SharePoint. The issues are observed when users access the report through the PowerBI app.

 

I will post some screen shots up soon. I need to get some other work done first.

 

 

Regards,

 

R

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

 

I have subsequently identifed that my row level security (RLS) was causing this behaviour. When I was viewing the online version, I was viewing as the report creator, however the user could only see information under their role. The filter that I had set was to remove financial data, but unfortunately it was removing fields that were not financial, but were associated with arecord that did contain financial data. I will revise my filtering.

 

Thanks you. This is now in the process of being resolved.

 

R.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

 

Glad to hear you are on the road to solve the issue now. By the way, you can take a look at below articles to verify your RLS settings and avoid limitations: 

 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-rls

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls

 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu