Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Usage metric report is paused while dashboard still using

I received an email with content following:

"Your scheduled refresh has been paused.We've paused scheduled refresh for Usage Metric Report in CDE workspace due to inactivity No one has viewed dashboards or reports built using this dataset for two months. To resume it, just visit a report or dashboard built using this dataset or manually refresh the dataset using the Refresh Now option."

I'm so suprised & dont know how to resume because my report/dashboard in that workspace still is visited till today. Currently the usage metric report doesn't update data, I need help to enable schedule refresh daily for it asap. Thanks

Hi @Anonymous 

This is by design in order to make reasonable use of service resources. If there isn’t any user viewing the report or dashboard built on a dataset for two months, Power BI will pause the refresh on the dataset. To resume the refresh, you just need to view the report or dashboard built on that dataset. Since the second you view its report or dashboard, this dataset will reactive. After that, Power BI will refresh dataset data according to corresponding refresh policy.

vcazhengmsft_0-1643852961859.png

For usage metrics report dataset, there isn’t an option to configure refresh policy by users. Please check Refresh history of Usage Metrics Report dataset to see whether its refresh has restored and whether it has been refresh successfully.

vcazhengmsft_1-1643852961874.png

If you don’t see any fresh record since you revisit the report or dashboard to activate its refresh, please try this Datasets - Refresh Dataset In Group REST API to refresh this dataset. After that, refresh visuals on the report itself.

vcazhengmsft_2-1643852961877.png

To use the REST API, you just need provide the groupId and datasetId of Usage Metrics Report. You can find them by Gear icon>Settings>Datasets>Usage Metrics Report.

vcazhengmsft_3-1643852961879.png

For more details about Usage Metrics Report, please refer to Monitor usage metrics in classic workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Docs and Monitor usage metrics in the new modern workspaces (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @Anonymous 

This is by design in order to make reasonable use of service resources. If there isn’t any user viewing the report or dashboard built on a dataset for two months, Power BI will pause the refresh on the dataset. To resume the refresh, you just need to view the report or dashboard built on that dataset. Since the second you view its report or dashboard, this dataset will reactive. After that, Power BI will refresh dataset data according to corresponding refresh policy.

vcazhengmsft_0-1643852961859.png

For usage metrics report dataset, there isn’t an option to configure refresh policy by users. Please check Refresh history of Usage Metrics Report dataset to see whether its refresh has restored and whether it has been refresh successfully.

vcazhengmsft_1-1643852961874.png

If you don’t see any fresh record since you revisit the report or dashboard to activate its refresh, please try this Datasets - Refresh Dataset In Group REST API to refresh this dataset. After that, refresh visuals on the report itself.

vcazhengmsft_2-1643852961877.png

To use the REST API, you just need provide the groupId and datasetId of Usage Metrics Report. You can find them by Gear icon>Settings>Datasets>Usage Metrics Report.

vcazhengmsft_3-1643852961879.png

For more details about Usage Metrics Report, please refer to Monitor usage metrics in classic workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Docs and Monitor usage metrics in the new modern workspaces (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-cazheng-msft 

Thanks so much for your prompt response, I wonder that I still visit the usage report built at least 1-2 times per month so why usage metrics report dataset is paused due to inactivity in 2 months. Is there any mistake here?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-cazheng-msft 

I followed the steps you mentioned above but yesterday (Feb 4th) when visiting, I saw Refresh history of Usage Metrics Report dataset has been refresh successfully as screenshot below but my dashboard built from Usage Metric model still update to Feb 2nd only instead of Feb 3rd. Is there any way to reactive my dashboard refreshed daily and data updated till N-1 date automatically like before? Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks so much in advance

NganPham_0-1644033150948.pngNganPham_1-1644033218573.png