Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

! Urgent: Google big query not loading: rest api

This has been an issue every now and then for the last year. But now since last friday it's dramatic. None of our queries are refreshing, like they were before.

Error interacting with REST API: Couldn't connect to server ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][DriverOAuthSupport] (8701) Error interacting with REST API: Couldn't connect to server Table: <any table>

Notes:

- powerbi - desktop refresh works

- it seems to be related to running parallel queries, loading from the same table simultaneously.

- dataflows are reported to be working, since the load sequantially

Can Microsoft and Google talk to each other? On both sides they are pointing to each other.

Kind regards,

Johan

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have the same issue!

Could Microsoft fix this issue? Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

最近也遇到依樣問題

求解><

😥

MSAInitaite
Frequent Visitor

Hi

I've had the same issue. If I use to many tables i get the error, but if I only get a couple of them it works fine. 

I've talked to a microsoft guy and we tested some things, like telling the query which billing group it should use without any luck. 

What I have done, that so far seems to work is change the initial table load from Google Big Query to use DataFlow and then use DataFlow as source to the final model. It makes the updating a bit more slow because I now have to update to datasets, but in my case I only update ones a day, så that's not a problem. 

I know this doesn't solve the problem, but is a workaround that so far seems to work. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

I would suggest you create a support ticket to get help. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Johan
Advocate II

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft 

I did, but all they say is that it's Google's fault. 

Here in the community at least people are cooperative suggesting work-arounds like odbc driver with gateway or using dataflows.

Thanks,

Johan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Johan, did you try this workaround:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/REST-api-to-google-big-query-crashes/m-p/872650#M82938

It's basically getting the data into a (simple!) Dataflow, and using that as your data source. Dataflow seems to be very reliable in refreshing my data. (100% success rate for many weeks now).

It's a shame the PowerBI devs don't think this is an issue. They want us to be  middle-men to communicate between them and google for some reason, very inefficient.

Johan
Advocate II

Thanks Jaap.

The dataflow option we try to avoid because it would mean we have to rebuild and reconnect all of our reports. Also it would double the load times: first the into the dataflow (entity) and then into the report.

I am going to setup a local odbc driver with gateway, will let know the outcome once available

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I understand. My data source was only slow while querying, the resulting dataset was very small, so the import from the dataflow was really fast. If your dataset is really big, this introduces a lot of lag...

Good luck!

mhar
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem (I think). All symptoms are the same and currently "solved" with the dataflow work around. My error message is:

{"error":{"code":"ModelRefresh_ShortMessage_ProcessingError","pbi.error":{"code":"ModelRefresh_ShortMessage_ProcessingError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"Message","detail":{"type":1,"value":"ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][DriverOAuthSupport] (8701) Error interacting with REST API: Couldn't connect to server\r\nERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][DriverOAuthSupport] (8701) Error interacting with REST API: Couldn't connect to server"}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}} Table: <any table>

So it's a bit different wording in the error message. Is this a different problem?