Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Upload of dataset overwrites existing parameter values

I have a template dataset that has parameters for the source SQL server name. This template is uploaded to multiple tenants but the underlying SQL db resides on a different server for each tenant. I would expect parameters to work like this:

1) if a dataset is uploaded the first time, use the parameters specified in the uploaded file

2) if the dataset already exists (and parameters have been changed), use the parameters of the already deployed dataset

unfortunately, this is not how parameters behave when uploading/overwriting a dataset. At the moment, parameters are always overwritten with the values in the dataset that is uploaded. So in my case, when I upload a new version of the template, I have to change the parameter online and also re-enter the credentials as the data source changes when I change the parameter.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @gbrueckl,

You can submit a idea here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

gbrueckl
Frequent Visitor

well, actually I posted it here as I considere it a bug

unless you tell me that this behavior is "by design"

regards,

-gerhard

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @gbrueckl,

I have sent a email to double confirm this internally, will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu