Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Updated Gateway: Refresh Failures

We keep getting intermittent failures on random datasets within our Power BI workspaces. This has been happening since we updated to the new February 2019 gateway. We were having some refresh failures previously due to the gateway timing out, so we thought that upgrading would resolve the issues. It appears to have exascerbated it. 

The errors look like the below: 

Last refresh failed: Sun Mar 10 2019 17:40:35 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) 
Before the data import for Requests finished, its data source timed out. Double-check whether that data source can process import queries, and if it can, try again.

Cluster URI:WABI-US-EAST2-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:aa4d9bb5-98b5-45a4-8749-4dbd3e36313b
Request ID:ecc6c044-0306-4ade-b631-5ea50740062c
Time:2019-03-10 21:40:35Z
Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Please share gateway log files follow: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot#tools-for-troubleshooting

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

StephenMEMC
Advocate I

I am also having this problem. Almost exactly as @Anonymous explained it. I was on the October 2018 release and we were having some intermittent timeout failures. The support article I found suggested updating and that has definitely made matters worse. At least 15% of our refreshes are failing.

How should I upload the zip file that the Gateway exported out?

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no option to attach a file in this comment field that I can find. 

StephenMEMC
Advocate I

@v-qiuyu-msft - do you have a preferred way for us to upload these files? I really need to work on getting this corrected.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

You can upload the files to your OneDrive and send the share link to me via private message. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

StephenMEMC
Advocate I

@v-qiuyu-msft - for some reason I don't have any ability to send you a PM either. I have the link ready but I don't see how to get it to you. When I go to your profile, I get an error.

PrahaPalalace
Frequent Visitor

We have a support ticket for an issue with the same symptoms. It has been open for 5 months with zero reported progress. After some weeks of investigation, it was passed to the SQL performance team, as this seems to be a common source type for reports with intermittent refresh failures. Still waiting for an update....

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @StephenMEMC

You can send a private message to me like below: 

q5.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

StephenMEMC
Advocate I

@v-qiuyu-msft - Logs have been sent. Thanks.

StephenMEMC
Advocate I

@PrahaPalalace - where did you open a ticket? I tried to do so as well but for some reason couldn't get through.