Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unexpected Sharing behavior in Reports & Dashboards

We are seeing two issues in regard to the removal of access to reports and dashboards from within the Service.

1. Shared Dashboards:
    • Scenario: a user is removed from access to the dashboard that contains reports with imported data. If the user has access to their original shared link pror to removal - they can launch the dashboard from the link and fully view the report content. Even worse the user is now added back as a user with access to the dashboard automatically.
    • I would expect if the user no longer has access - that they would not be able to see dashboard content at all - and surely not be able to add themselves back to dashboard as a user with access automatically without approval.
  2. Shared Reports:
    • Scenario: a user is removed from access to the report that contains imported data. If the user has access to their original shared link prior to removal - they can launch the report from the link and view report content for a period of 1 to 3 seconds until PowerBI then grays out the content with a "See Details" display. 
    • I would expect if the user no longer has access - that they will not be able to see the report content at all even for a brief period of time.

Please let me know if you require further information. Thanks.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @taylortree,

1. Based on my test, sharing a dashboard will share the related report as well. You can see the shared user is listed under the access of the share button of the dashboard and report.

If we remove the shared user from access list of the dashboard, it will prompt us if we want to remove the access for this user to related report. If we don't want the user to access the report as well, we need to select the report in this dialog. 

Once we remove the access for the dashboard and report, the user won't access the dashboard and report again. The user won't be added to access list again automatically. In your scenario, please go to Audit Log to check if there is a activity about sharing this dashboard. 

2. Based on my test, after removing the access for the user to access the report, the user can't access the report with message "Request Access" pops out soon. I don't see the "See Details" message like you mentioned. After removing report access for the user, please refresh the report page again, the change will tale several seconds to reflect. 

q2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu