Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unexpected Error when launching Power BI Desktop(Access to the path Evaluation.bin is denied)

My Power BI Desktop crashes with the error :

Access to the path 'C:\Users\v-essahu\AppData\Local\Temp\Power BI Desktop\6cc6c47c-efce-49ec-9b3e-ed6f4697c35f\Evaluation\Evaluations.bin' is denied. I have the latest version of PBI desktop installed.

I tried uninstall/re-install , system reboot , it still doesn't seem to work.
I gave full control access to the folder but still it doesn't seem to work.
Running as PBIdesktop as Admin doesn't work as well.

Access to the path 'C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\Power BI Desktop\6cc6c47c-efce-49ec-9b3e-ed6f4697c35f\Evaluation\Evaluations.bin' is denied.

Stack Trace:
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.TempLocalStorage.CreateFile(String filePath)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.TempLocalStorage..ctor(String filePath)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.FileLocalStorageManager.GetEvaluationStorage()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.LocalWorkspaceStorage..ctor(WorkspaceManager workspaceManager)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.PackageStorageHandlers.InitializeBasic(String userFolderPath, String evaluationFolderPath)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.PackageStorageHandlers.InitializeLocal(String userFolderPath, String evaluationFolderPath)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.PackageStorageHandlers.EnsureInitialized()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.PackageStorageHandlers.get_FeatureSwitchStorage()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.PreviewFeatureSwitch.LoadEnabled()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.FeatureSwitch..ctor(Guid id, Boolean defaultValue, Boolean changeRequiresRestart)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FeatureSwitchManager.RegisterPreviewFeatureSwitches()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FeatureSwitchManager.RegisterKnownSwitches()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<Main>b__1()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
Access to the path 'C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\Power BI Desktop\6cc6c47c-efce-49ec-9b3e-ed6f4697c35f\Evaluation\Evaluations.bin' is denied.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

Comments
KarthickSellakk
Regular Visitor

I am also facing the same issues from yesterday 😞

Soclatotle

I'm having the same issue right now:

pbi_issue.png

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

Please open file explorer, find the Power BI desktop folder under the path C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp, grant the full permission for the current windows account. 

q4.PNG

Also please check if there is any anti-virus runs in the machine, please ensure the Power BI desktop processes is in the white list. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

KarthickSellakk
Regular Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msftI gave full access to the Temp folder. It is not working for me 😞

kaekae
Regular Visitor

Same here. I have an exactly same issue. Neither Repair nor Reset in Settings are fixing this issue.

eswar_chandra
Employee

@v-qiuyu-msft, I tried the steps suggested however it doesnt work still. The error message is also the same.

gautam_power
Regular Visitor

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Unexpected-Error-when-launching-Power-BI-Desktop-Evaluation...

Facing the same issue since the Windows 10 updates 2 days ago. Have reported the issue already

gautam_power
Regular Visitor

pbi2.PNG

Checked on the allowed apps and features and Power BI is in the list.

@v-qiuyu-msft  does it have to do with the latest windows updates ?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 119164356. Will keep you update once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted