Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unexpected Error - We're sorry, a problem occurred while connecting to Power BI service. Please try

Hi y'all PBI experts, 

I'm very much stopped by this error message that I have not seen before. You may, so please help me to understand how to resolve it.

error_uploading.png

The error happens when I try to publish this particular file to the powerbi service on the cloud.

I tried a previous version of this dashboard and was able to publish it to the cloud.

From the previous version to this version, I've added couple of parameters, nothing fancy.

What would be the best way to find out whats broken?

Cheers,

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2019-02-22T00:21:33.0897763Z

Local Time:
2019-02-21T16:21:33.0897763-08:00

Session ID:
c149e27a-6710-4d05-a2da-996ef1cfb0cc

Release:
December 2018

Product Version:
2.65.5313.1381 (18.12) (x64)

Stack Trace:
at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo.GetCurrent()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Exception exception, Nullable`1 stackTraceInfo, String messageDetail)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIService.ReportPublisher.<PromptPublishToGroupDialog>d__1b.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIService.ReportPublisher.PromptPublishToGroupDialog(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, TelemetryUserActionId entryPoint, IPowerBIServicePublishProperties pbiBiServicePublishProperties, CancellationTokenSource cancellationTokenSource, Boolean requiresPremiumWorkspace)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIService.ReportPublisher.<PublishReport>d__0.MoveNext()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.MoveNextRunner.Run()
at System.Threading.Tasks.AwaitTaskContinuation.RunCallback(ContextCallback callback, Object state, Task& currentTask)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.FinishContinuations()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.TrySetResult(TResult result)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1.SetResult(TResult result)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerBIService.ReportPublisher.<TryEnsureFileIsSavedBeforePublish>d__b.MoveNext()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.Tasks.AwaitTaskContinuation.RunCallback(ContextCallback callback, Object state, Task& currentTask)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1.SetResult(TResult result)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileOperationUIHandler.<IsSaveChangesPromptNeeded>d__0.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.CefSharpFramework.CefWebBrowserBase.<InvokeScriptAsync>d__8`1.MoveNext()
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.WebDialogs.WebDialog.<>n__FabricatedMethod8(IWindowHandle )
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.WindowManager.ShowModal[T](T dialog, Func`1 showModalFunction)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass10.<Main>b__0()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__6()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.17134.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 461808]

Peak Virtual Memory:
38.5 GB

Private Memory:
599 MB

Peak Working Set:
614 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
9bf397c2-6bf6-4dbb-877f-31f83aab62a7

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-US, Query Groups: 11, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: False.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

Model Default Mode:
Import

Snapshot Trace Logs:
C:\Users\urazavi\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\FrownSnapShot427880581.zip

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
MIntellisense
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_PdfImport
PBI_ColumnProfiling
PBI_variationUIChange
PBI_PythonSupportEnabled
PBI_showIncrementalRefreshPolicy
PBI_showManageAggregations
PBI_FuzzyMatching
PBI_EnableWebDiagramView
PBI_improvedFilterExperience
PBI_qnaLiveConnect

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
PBI_DirectQuery_Unrestricted
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
100%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

May I know your Power BI tenant region?  

Please access Power BI service in browser, open the workspace which you would like the report published to, click on Get Data -> Files to publish the report, check if the same issue occurs. 

By the way, the latest Power BI desktop version is 2.66.5376.2161 64-bit (February 2019), you can update your desktop to this version then try again. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank @v-qiuyu-msft 

So I tried all sorts of things. Finally downgraded to this version below and seems like it resolved the issue.

PBI_Version.png

Thank you,

Usher

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

In your initial post, the detail error message occurs with Power BI desktop version 2.65.5313.1381 (18.12) (x64). In your second reply, you said downgrade the Power BI desktop to the version 2.65.5313.1381 then the issue disappears. I'm a little confused.  Would you please check is there typo in your post? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft 

Sorry I missed your reply. So seems like I made a typo. The version that i reinstalled and worked was 2.65.5313.1381 (18.12) (x64).

Prior to that the version that was giving me the hard time was the Feb version. Region is West US /California/SanJose if that helps.

I just upgraded to Version: 2.68.5432.841 64-bit (April 2019) and it seems fine.

Thanks for your response. 

Cheers,

Usher