Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unable to use function calls in Query to a parameter in the service

Problem:

Uploading a pbix file with custom function calls to a parameter.

Details:

Parameter: "12345//abcdefgh//klmnop"

Function: "Splits the parameter by "//", returns the correct part of the parameter based on an input value)

Query: "Source = Function("FirstValue")"

Returns: "12345"

It works great to refresh and have function calls either directly in the Query with position/split functions or by a custom function call ("Function") locally in the pbix file. When uploading the pbix to the service with function calls to control what part of the parameter should be fetched in the query it's not possible to either refresh nor schedule a refresh:

"You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because one or more sources currently don't support refresh."

I've seen a work around for this problem written by Chris Webb:

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2016/08/23/web-contents-m-functions-and-dataset-refresh-errors-in-power...

In my case the work around did not work, it's a slightly different approach in Chris Webb's case (he uses Web.Contents, I'm using an odata call).

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@gustafoqvist

Please take a look at this idea to check if you’re doing the same thing as it. If yes, you can vote on it.

Best Regards,

Herbert

gustafoqvist
Regular Visitor

@v-haibl-msft

The idea looks similar to what I'm reporting here. My main concern is that I don't see this as an "idea", rather a bug. I expect things I create in the desktop version to work when I upload them to the service, otherwise there's a problem in power bi desktop that should be resolved (example notifying the user that the functionality you're using will not work in the service). 

Regards

Gustaf

Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally agree with Gustaf. It is not acceptable that you work for weeks with queries and reports in desktop with no problem and when you upload to the PowerBI service won't update.....Really disappointing that no evolution on this issue has been done.