Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Unable to sign in from Power BI Desktop and Enterprise Gateway after implementing Conditional Access

We have a production implementation of Power BI for which we turned on device based Conditional Access (CA), and added relevant AD groups. After turning on CA, users in the device based AD group are unable to sign in from Power BI desktop and also cannot sign in upon installation of a new Enterprise Gateway.

We get the following message: Unable to sign in. Sorry we encountered an error while trying to sign you in. Details: AADSTS50000. Device platform Unknown used by the user is an unsupported device platform. Supported device platforms are iOS, Android, and Windows flavors.

We are on a Windows platform and tested from Windows 8 and Windows 7 machines, and encountered the same error on both. This issue applies to October 2016 and September 2016 versions of desktop. To prove that CA triggered this issue, we used a test user not in the device based AD group. The test user was able to sign in successfully.

This issue is critical as it prevents us from being able to publish directly from Power BI desktop and prevents users from installing a new Enterprise Gateway.

Please let me know if you need any additional information. If you need Trace ID, Correlation ID or Timestamp, I can provide it via email.

Comments
chass
Impactful Individual

Hello Sujatamehta,

Thank you for your report!  Can you publish directly through the website interface?

This might be a way around your issue.

I am assuming you can log into PowerBi.com directly from a browser.

Please confirm this is the case so we can report it to the development team.

Thanks,

Chuck

chass
Impactful Individual

Internally tracking as 8920232:

Sujatamehta
Regular Visitor

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your response. Our standard deployment process is to publish from Power BI desktop but as a workaround, we have been uploading directly to Power BI.  However, we do not have a workaround for installing a new gateway as that requires one to be signed in as per my understanding. 

Thanks,

Sujata

chass
Impactful Individual

You do not need to be logged into Power BI desktop to install the Gateway...Only the Power BI websites

chass
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Investigating

Sujatamehta
Regular Visitor

Hi,

We need to sign in to powerbi.com to register the gateway during the installation process.

Thanks!

tuannie
Employee

Hi Sujatamehta,

Do you still experience this issue? If yes, can you provide the trace id, correlation id, request id, activity id, and timestamp?

Thanks.

Tuan.

Sujatamehta
Regular Visitor

Hi Tuan,

Here's the error message when publishing from PBI desktop to PBI service. We don't have request id and activity id.

------

Unable to sign in

Sorry, we encountered an error while trying to sign you in. Details:

AADSTS50000: Device platform Unknown used by the user is an

unsupported device platform. Supported device platforms are: iOS,

Android, and Windows flavors.

Trace ID: 6b7727ed-e360-4f33-8927-bd6f2744d619

correlation ID: 6e4dc1f3-0471-4c91-b8ba-db385ca77262

Timestamp: 2016-12-19 18:46:32Z

Thanks,

Sujata

Sujatamehta
Regular Visitor

Hi Tuan,

See below the error message when publishing from PBI desktop to PBI service. We don't have request id and activity id.

Thanks,

Sujata

------

Unable to sign in

Sorry, we encountered an error while trying to sign you in. Details:

AADSTS50000: Device platform Unknown used by the user is an

unsupported device platform. Supported device platforms are: iOS,

Android, and Windows flavors.

Trace ID: 6b7727ed-e360-4f33-8927-bd6f2744d619

correlation ID: 6e4dc1f3-0471-4c91-b8ba-db385ca77262

Timestamp: 2016-12-19 18:46:32Z

tuannie
Employee

Hi Sujata,

I haven't been able to find any logs for the provided Trace ID and Correlation ID. Would mind giving me the Session ID? You can get this by going to File > Help > About.

Thanks.

Tuan.