Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unable to read data from the transport connection

Hello,

Lately, we have issues with automatic update in PBI online accounts. I have 2 different reports, each has different CSV data source from our server. Almost every day the auto update fails.

During update one of the reports, PBI tries to update both data sources at once, do not know why. Additionaly, the update process sends 2, sometimes even more GET requests on the server at a time. First request is stopped by PBI during downloading the file. Usually, PBI sends requests, our server answers and sends the whole file successfully, but PBI do not use it and it ends with error anyway.

We have tried to check all time limits on our side, but it seems to be OK. It is the same with small and large files.

Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface.

Next refresh for name_of_the_file is scheduled for 01/13/2017 07:45:00.

Technical Information:
Activity Id: ab3448f5-857b-4cd3-8470-6f5e007d16b8
Request Id: a5c2df24-fad2-4dcd-a367-59e453eb7bdf
Refresh Start Time: 01/12/2017 07:07:01Z
Refresh End Time: 01/12/2017 07:15:58Z
Comments
Nishantjain
Continued Contributor
Hi, Same issue with me. We are reading CSV files from Sharepoint and get the below error message DataSource.Error: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. I am getting this message on dataflows Any info will be appreciated Nishant
Adescrit
Impactful Individual

I have the same issue. Receiving the error message "Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. " upon refresh of my Power BI reports (two reports using the same dataset but set to refresh at the same time)

I have a series of "Metrics" tables, one for each month of the year, that are refreshed in Power BI via a connection to text files on a Sharepoint site.

There are other files connected to the reports, including some Excel files, but it is always these text files on which the error occurs. They are significantly larger than the other files so this makes sense.

Note that we get the message maybe 50% of the time, whether it be a scheduled or manual refresh.

At the end of the refresh of the files they are all appended into one large file within Power BI.

Adescrit
Impactful Individual

I managed to resolve this issue FINALLY. 

I believe it was caused by introducing "special" characters into our dataset, e.g. Chinese, and not updating the "File Origin" in the data query.

The issue was resolved by changing the File Origin to "65001: Unicode (UTF-8)".

You can do this either in the dropdown menu when setting up a new data connection ("Get Data > ... etc.)...

File Origin in the new query menuFile Origin in the new query menu

Or to update an existing query go to Edit Queries, and then Advanced Editor in the Power Query Editor window. You can update the File Origin by amending the "Encoding" to the required code. (65001 for UTF-8). 

Updating data query in advanced editorUpdating data query in advanced editor

Burubear
Helper I

jumping on this thread to ask if there's now a solution for this? tried to do Adescrit's Origin solution but I dont have that "encoding" portion to edit

DanYuncken
Helper I

Hi,

I’m having the same issue with most of my clients. Large sales data files in .csv format but none totaling over 250MB.

Refresh fails are totally random. In testing I made sure that there this was the only SharePoint request at that time, and no changes to the data. Fails randomly for both manual refresh and also scheduled. The data appears to be error free and doesn’t contain any foreign characters. Also happens for Power BI dataflows.

Would love a solution or at the very least understand the cause so to I can try to mitigate.

Cheers,

Dan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to @Adescrit, I was able to resolve my issue!!!

I was getting the same error, when reading CSV files from a Sharepoint folder:

"Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host."

Changing the Encoding in Advanced Editor from "1252" to "65001" eliminated the error, and I was able to refresh the dataset again!

ponczula
Frequent Visitor

Confirmed, this solution worked for me as well! Thank you!

JonCorsetti
Frequent Visitor

This issue has also been increasing for me, using Odata connectors.

RaoMohsin6054
Regular Visitor

Update Power BI Desktop to the latest version and adjust parallel loading settings to prevent simultaneous execution of multiple queries, ensuring a successful report refresh. However, this may lead to a longer refresh time compared to parallel processing.

Read article: https://medium.com/microsoft-power-bi/resolving-unable-to-read-data-from-the-transport-connection-er...