Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unable to override default summarization when column title is similar to data categorisation labels

Issue:
When a column title includes the name of a Data Category label (Address, City, Continent, Place etc.) the default summarization used on the field becomes an average and there is no way to override the behaviour.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new blank table in query editor
  2. Use column headers that include the labels used under the Data Category menu in Power BI
  3. Feel free to add a prefix of suffix onto the labels, for example: [Number Placed], [Addressees], [Placements], [Continental Appointments]
  4. Set the data type to whole number for each column
  5. Import the query
  6. Drag the fields into a table visual and note that the default summarization used in the visual is an average
  7. Under the Modelling menu, the default summarization is set to Sum but this appears to be overridden by some internal logic within Power BI

Sample m query below:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(
		Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText(
			"i45WMlTSUTI2ARIWQGxuphSrE61kBGSaQoUswCIgBWZAbAkSsQQLgRSYA7EBWDg2FgA="
				, BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate
			)
		)
		, let _t = ((Int64.Type) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) 
			in type table [
				Placements = _t
				, #"Number Placed" = _t
				, #"Continental Appointments" = _t
				, Addressees = _t
				]
	)
in
    Source

Expected Behaviour
The default summarization behaviour set on a field (under the Modelling header) should override any 'internal' default summarization applied by Power BI.

Comments
jpretorius
Advocate I

Issue:
When a column title includes the name of a Data Category label (Address, City, Continent, Place etc.) the default summarization used on the field becomes an average and there is no way to override the behaviour.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new blank table in query editor
  2. Use column headers that include the labels used under the Data Category menu in Power BI
  3. Feel free to add a prefix of suffix onto the labels, for example: [Number Placed], [Addressees], [Placements], [Continental Appointments]
  4. Set the data type to whole number for each column
  5. Import the query
  6. Drag the fields into a table visual and note that the default summarization used in the visual is an average
  7. Under the Modelling menu, the default summarization is set to Sum but this appears to be overridden by some internal logic within Power BI

Sample m query below:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(
		Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText(
			"i45WMlTSUTI2ARIWQGxuphSrE61kBGSaQoUswCIgBWZAbAkSsQQLgRSYA7EBWDg2FgA="
				, BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate
			)
		)
		, let _t = ((Int64.Type) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) 
			in type table [
				Placements = _t
				, #"Number Placed" = _t
				, #"Continental Appointments" = _t
				, Addressees = _t
				]
	)
in
    Source

Expected Behaviour
The default summarization behaviour set on a field (under the Modelling header) should override any 'internal' default summarization applied by Power BI.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jpretorius,

I have sent e email to consult this issue internally, will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jpretorius,

I got information internally that it is a known issue, by design for now. But there is no ETA currently. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu