Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unable to open report with different credentials

Power BI Desktop crashes when opening a report using a Power BI Dataset, when signed in with an account different from the one with access to the dataset. Expected behaviour would be e.g. a request for renewed credentials.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open Power BI Desktop and log in with account A

2. Create report using a Power BI Dataset

3. Save and close

4. Switch to account B

5. Try to open saved report file

Result: "Something went wrong": "Sequence contains no matching element"

Details: See below

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2018-06-27T08:13:19.2743402Z

Local Time:
2018-06-27T10:13:19.2743402+02:00

Session ID:
e17c2a5f-1c0e-498c-aadc-2ea273f8ce3a

Release:
June 2018

Product Version:
2.59.5135.601 (PBIDesktop) (x64)

Stack Trace:
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext.Send(SendOrPostCallback d, Object state)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.AllowModalDialogs(Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.LiveConnectHelpers.LiveConnectionPropertiesValidator.TryGetValidLiveConnectionProperties(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, ILiveConnectionProperties connectionProperties, ILiveConnectionProperties& validLiveConnectionProperties, Boolean& resultIsSameConnection)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.EnsureValidLiveConnectionProperties(Report report, IPowerBIWindowService windowService)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.Prepare(Report report, PackageValidationResult mashupResult, IPowerBIWindowService windowService, Nullable`1 entryPoint)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.PowerBIPackagingService.Open(FileStream fileStream, IPowerBIWindowService windowService, Nullable`1 entryPoint, PowerBIPackageOpenOptions options, Boolean& allCredentialsSatisfied)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.<LoadFromPbix>d__5.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.<>c__DisplayClassa`1.<<BlockUIAndRun>b__9>d__c.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.WaitOnUIThreadForTaskCompletion(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.BlockUIAndRun[T](Func`1 asyncMethod)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.OpenFile(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IPbixFile fileToOpen, Nullable`1 entryPoint)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassb.<Main>b__0()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__6()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.17134.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 461808]

Peak Virtual Memory:
37.4 GB

Private Memory:
151 MB

Peak Working Set:
220 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
e5b81239-eb6e-4a73-8843-2e63df754198

Telemetry Enabled:
True

DPI Scale:
250%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous,

Do you create the Power BI report by connecting to a dataset in App workspaces of Power BI Service?

If so, how do you grant the account B access to the dataset in Power BI Service? Based on my test, only when I add the account B as member of app workspace and grant edit permission to the account B, the account B can view  the report in PBIX file.

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable
B should not have access to the original dataset. The objective is to use the report on another dataset (same datamodel). The point is, that I never get to open the report because of the error. In a similar situation, if I delete a dataset used by a report, then open the report, I am asked to "retry or fix", with fix being the option of choosing between datasets available to the user. That would be the expected error handling process for the above issue as well.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous,

Please check the limitations in this article, which indicates that members that don't have access to the dataset can't open report in this type of PBIX.

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

It says, as expected, that a user cannot *connect* to the dataset (which is fine), but nowhere does it say that the report PBIX file cannot be *opened* (and the connection subsequently fixed).

As stated, it seems the error resolving UI presented to the user should be similar to what happens, when e.g. a dataset is deleted.

The objective is for a user to be able to open a report PBIX file, even if the original dataset is not available, and then change the connection to point to the new/right/another dataset.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous,

Please verify the following things. I will consult internally about the UI error.

1. Do you connect to a dataset in App workspaces of Power BI Service?
2. Is the account B a member of the app workspace?

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Yes.

2. Sort of - B is member of a workspace (with a dataset), but not the same workspace as user A (with the original dataset). User A and B are members of different groups, each of which have their own workspace with their own dataset.

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Investigating

SoltV
Advocate I

I'm having exactly same problem.

I'm developing reports to a customer in a different domain (workspace A).

I have a development workspace in my domain (workspace B).

I use one powerbi-report as a dataset-report and it has been published to both workspaces.

Whenever I try to open a report (which has been connected to workspace A dataset) with my own domain credentials, I'd expect Power BI Desktop to show me an error with the dataset and give an option to change it to one in my own domain.

Instead, I get this "Sequence contains no matching element" -error.

What I need to do is open the report with customer domain credentials, switch account in Power BI Destop to my own domain and then change the report datasource to the dataset in my own domain (workspace B).

So it's not a total deal breaker, but still very annoying

Edit: typos

kkalyanthaya
Employee

@v-yuezhe-msft any update on this issue ? Or a clean way to connect to a different workspace-dataset  using same file ?