Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unable to open document; "Script error"

Greetings all! 

I have just installed the 2.56.5023.861 64-bit (March, 2018) update for Power BI and I am no longer able to open any .pbix files. I recieve the message; 

"Script error"

I have confirmed on a separate workstation with Power BI 2.50.4859.502 64-bit (September, 2017) opens this PBIX without any issues.

Any help will be appreciated!

Relevant information:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
"Script error."

Stack Trace:
    at :line:0:

Stack Trace Message:
"Script error."

Invocation Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Exception exception)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowContainer activeWindow, WindowsHost windowsHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3.<SendAndMarshalExceptions>b__0(Object null)
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.WindowManager.ShowDialog[T](T form, IWindowContainer owner)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassa.<Main>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__6()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_EnableReportTheme
PBI_numericSlicerEnabled
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
CustomConnectors
PBI_AdobeAnalytics
PBI_qnaExplore
PBI_variationUIChange
PBI_customVisualsGallery
PBI_canvasTooltips

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
PBI_DirectQuery_Unrestricted
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

Sincerely,

Mike

Comments
mlantz

It turns out the pbix file being used in this case had custom Visualization widgets that must have become deprecated as of the March 2018 release. I updated/removed some visualizations and subsequently switched over the tiles in the report which had the deprecated custom visualization references and that more or less did the trick.

The main visualizations causing issues were:

Bullet Charts (https://okviz.com/bullet-chart/)
Smart Filter (https://okviz.com/smart-filter/)
Synoptic Panel (https://okviz.com/synoptic-panel/)

v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Thank you, @mlantz.

Best Regards,

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am getting the same issue. So, using the suggestion above, I started removing custom visualizations to no avail. Eventually, I removed everything from the report, so it was a blank cavas, and am still getting this issue. I removed all references of 3rd party controls as well. Ideas?

mlcollins
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue after the March Update.  Tried updating custom visuals.  Still does not work.

ehanders76
Frequent Visitor

I'm having this issue too.  I removed all custom visuals, all charts, and all the data sources trying to narrow down the problem, but I still get the error.

I get this error, but when I click cancel the workbook still opens and I can work with my report (refreshing data, creating visuals).  But every time I hit the back button, I get a script error.  I have a number of reports built around the same time with this error - I really don't want to rebuild them from scratch.