Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unable to open PBIX models after Desktop February update

Hi, 

I just updated the new PBI Desktop February version on my personal PC & on the server where we have the on-premises gateway, and in both cases, PBI Desktop refuses to open some of our pbix models, which were opened perfectly just an hour ago. The message I get is:

"We weren't able to connect to the model"

These models continue working when oppened with Online Services and the previous January Desktop version (on another PC).

I tried to update the PBI Gateway, but this didn't change anything.

Comments
vrs
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I'm dealing with the same problem. (Desktop Updates becomes too unstable )

Tried to get back models from the service but still have same error message.

Any ideas ?!

Dimitar
Frequent Visitor

Hi @vrs,

I understood the problem - in fact it is explained in the PBI Status page:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

We are experiencing a temporary issue where users are unable to open pbix files in February version of Power BI Desktop. Users are unable to open pbix files with the special characters (", ', <, >, and &) in the file name. As a workaround, rename the file and make sure it’s in a directory without special characters. Engineers are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. Next Update @02/07/2018 17:00 UTC

You need just to change the name of your files - not great if you published them already, but a shortcut to avoid being blocked.

Dimitar

vrs
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Dimitar

Thanks fro your quick reply. In fact, some report names contain a special character, I tried to rename the file to "test" , but still have the error message :s

vrs
Frequent Visitor

found a way to open my pbix ! Hopefully, I have a dev version that I renamed on the service then I get it back on prem. Thanks 

v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi All,

This is a known issue. Please refer to the support page for workaround. The related ICM ID is CRI 59287790.

Unable_to_open_document_we_weren_t_able_to_restore_saved_database_to_the_model

Best Regards,

Dale

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

thapaliya233
Regular Visitor

Hi,

When I try to open power bi file, this error comes and whether I press Send  a Frown or close, the system closes.

However, when I try to open blank Power  BI file from Start Menu and open the file from File menu, I could open the file and works as normal.

I have August Version of Microsoft Power BI (2.72....). 

Problem opening on pbix fileProblem opening on pbix file