Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Unable to open PBIX models after Desktop February update

Hi, 

I just updated the new PBI Desktop February version on my personal PC & on the server where we have the on-premises gateway, and in both cases, PBI Desktop refuses to open some of our pbix models, which were opened perfectly just an hour ago. The message I get is:

"We weren't able to connect to the model"

These models continue working when oppened with Online Services and the previous January Desktop version (on another PC).

I tried to update the PBI Gateway, but this didn't change anything.

Comments
vrs
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I'm dealing with the same problem. (Desktop Updates becomes too unstable )

Tried to get back models from the service but still have same error message.

Any ideas ?!

Dimitar
Frequent Visitor

Hi @vrs,

I understood the problem - in fact it is explained in the PBI Status page:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

We are experiencing a temporary issue where users are unable to open pbix files in February version of Power BI Desktop. Users are unable to open pbix files with the special characters (", ', <, >, and &) in the file name. As a workaround, rename the file and make sure it’s in a directory without special characters. Engineers are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. Next Update @02/07/2018 17:00 UTC

You need just to change the name of your files - not great if you published them already, but a shortcut to avoid being blocked.

Dimitar

vrs
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Dimitar

Thanks fro your quick reply. In fact, some report names contain a special character, I tried to rename the file to "test" , but still have the error message :s

vrs
Frequent Visitor

found a way to open my pbix ! Hopefully, I have a dev version that I renamed on the service then I get it back on prem. Thanks 

v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi All,

This is a known issue. Please refer to the support page for workaround. The related ICM ID is CRI 59287790.

Unable_to_open_document_we_weren_t_able_to_restore_saved_database_to_the_model

Best Regards,

Dale

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

thapaliya233
Regular Visitor

Hi,

When I try to open power bi file, this error comes and whether I press Send  a Frown or close, the system closes.

However, when I try to open blank Power  BI file from Start Menu and open the file from File menu, I could open the file and works as normal.

I have August Version of Microsoft Power BI (2.72....). 

Problem opening on pbix fileProblem opening on pbix file