Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unable to open PBIX file - created with newer version - but that is wrong!

I created a file by starting from scratch, and opening an Excel file to get the Power Query data and data model. Seemed to be working ok, but now everytime I open the PBIX, I get the following message.

2020-05-18 17_07_25-.png

I have done extensive modifications to the queries. Hitting Close just lets the file open, and I keep working. I have the latest version - below. I do NOT have the enhanced metadata preview feature on. I've been bitten by that already. 🙂

2020-05-18 17_08_31-.png

@megank I can share the PBIX if that is helpful, but not in this forum. 

Comments
edhans
Super User

I said "opening an excel file." I imported it into the PBIX.

megank
Power BI Team

Hi @edhans, can you try on the latest PBI Desktop (May 2020 dropped this morning). If it still repros, please send me the pbix.

edhans
Super User

Thanks. Unfortunately, still repros with this mornings May 2020 update. 

megank
Power BI Team

Thanks for sharing the files! I did confirm that this issue is caused by the version in the Excel file you imported being greater than the version of PBI Desktop. I believe what's happening here is that Excel Online is using a more recent Power Query build than the version of PBI Desktop that you have is using, so when you import the Excel file (and the Mashup within it), it looks like it's from a future version of PBI Desktop. The warning isn't shown on import, but you'll see it on open of the PBIX.

As you noted, this doesn't have an impact on your ability to use the PBIX report - you just get an annoying pop-up. However, as the pop-up mentions, if the Excel file made use of new PQ features that weren't yet available in PBI Desktop, then you could run into issues of things not behaving as expected. I've tested with the June 2020 build of Power BI Desktop, and can confirm that the pop-up doesn't show up - so it should self-resolve in about a month when that version is released. If this is something you experience regularly (with other files), or is blocking in some way, then I recommend reaching out to Support and opening a ticket.  

edhans
Super User

Thanks. So not a bug. Excellent. I appreciate it. I am on an insider build of Excel, 202006, so that must be what happened. 

Not too often Excel is ahead of Power BI Desktop! 😁