Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unable to load the model

Currently Power BI tries to render all the visuals and only once this task is completed the control is handed over to us.  I totally agree that this is how it should work. However, if the underlying mode(tabular)  name is changed accidentally, Power BI spins for ever as it is not able to find the previously connected model. This is really painful as there is no way to stop the rendering. Can we change the approach as to if it can't connect stop the rendering and just allow us to change the model name ? 

Please consider this as this is causing huge rework.

-SN

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

It's not able to change connection information in Power BI service currently. You need to download pbix file and modify it in Power BI desktop. As the previous connected model name is changed, it should prompt you to type new model name after you open the report in Power BI desktop.  

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reponse. I think I didn't do a good job in explaining this. This issue is happening in Power BI desktop not on the service. Like I said, when you open the report in Power BI desktop, it spins for ever by throwing the error. Annotation 2020-04-03 092822.jpg

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

You can back up the pbix file, then rename file extension from .pbix to .zip. There is a file Connections, you can find the connection string. Open SSMS, check if you are able to connect to the same SSAS server use your current Windows account, find if the same model exists. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun, That is a good tip to check what it is trying to connect to. But I think you are not catching  my point here, we want Power BI to enhance such that if it can't connect, it should immdiately stop rendering the visuals and allow us to change the connection in the power bi desktop using "Data Source Settings". Can you please add this as an enhancement?

-SN

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Please post an idea here

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu