Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unable to connect to the remote server - Works on desktop but not on the portal

Hi,

I am trying to query Jira REST API from PowerBI and was successful on PowerBI desktop. The issue is that this particular Jira is not using corporate ID, so I had to use "Basic" authentication. I managed to get it working on desktop using both

• Data source settings - Basic auth
  • and Anonymous auth and Power Query language - options = [Headers =[#"Authorization"="Basic abcdefghijklmno123456"]]

But no matter what I do, the data source is not refreshing after I published it to the portal.

When I try to refresh it online it says:

nemozny_0-1613067988894.png

The way it looks it seems to me your cluster is trying to access Jira from outside the firewall, which is impossible without VPN.

I assumed that was why you have your Gateway, but "Gateway connection" options says

You don't need a gateway for this dataset, because all of its data sources are in the cloud, but you can use a gateway for enhanced control over how you connect. Learn more

This leaves me with no other options than to ask here... 🙂

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, @v-chuncz-msft, but that didn't help.

To be sure I tried it again now, but this is the result

• Processing errorUnable to connect to the remote server
  • Cluster URIWABI-WEST-US-redirect.analysis.windows.net
  • Activity ID4a35d6c6-f7e1-4d02-9230-781c55dea9a3
  • Request IDff853256-05f3-4875-b074-217850725183
  • Time2021-02-15 17:17:48Z

No problem refreshing on desktop, but no success from the web portal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we confirm this is a bug?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello? Is there a workaround for this bug?
On-premise gateway would do the trick, if I was able to enable it.

Victormar
Helper IV

Hi!

I actually have the same problem and there is no way that I can make it work, any ideas?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Victormar you have to use/install the "on-premise gateway", there is no other way around this. The gateway acts as a middle man between your firewalled data and PowerBI servers. PowerBI server are unable to reach your data otherwise.

Victormar
Helper IV

thanks! Will do 🙂

tonethf
Regular Visitor

@Anonymous, having the same issue here - could you please explain how you were able to enable the gateway connection?
Its greyed out here, getting the same error message as you; "You don't need a gateway for this dataset, because all of its data sources are in the cloud [..]"

Thanks! 

Victormar
Helper IV

Hej @Anonymous, I think your error is different. If this is the error you have, then I would say is different. If your datasources are not on-prem then you don't need a personal gateway. You just set it up on the hub, but you need to add your credentials.

Does this help? Or can you be more specific and attach a screenshot?

Take care