Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unable to choose gateway when creating the first entity in a dataflow based on SharePoint.Files

When you create a new dataflow and add the first entity based on SharePoint.Files, you are prompted to enter the credentials, as expected. At the same time, for some reason, it's not possible to choose a gateway, so the only two credentials options are Anonymous and Microsoft Account, both of which fail in my case.

If you already have another entity in this dataflow with a gateway selected, then creating an entity based on SharePoint.Files works: there is the third credentials option -- Windows -- and you can proceed to specifying the credentials, etc.

Also, there should be an idea label for dataflows 🙂

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Daniil,

"When you create a new dataflow and add the first entity based on SharePoint.Files, you are prompted to enter the credentials, as expected. At the same time, for some reason, it's not possible to choose a gateway, so the only two credentials options are Anonymous and Microsoft Account, both of which fail in my case."

You are connecting to on-premises sharepoint, right? In this case, instead of directly enter credential, you can choose options in Power query editor of dataflow, this way, you are able to select gateway. Then when you click to Edit credential, you can see Windows auth option.

step1: choose Optionsstep1: choose Optionsstep2: enter credentialstep2: enter credential

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Delivered

Daniil
Kudo Kingpin

The bug is that I don't see the option to choose a gateway, even though I have one that includes this exact data source:

image.png

However, if I create the same query in another dataflow, where I already have a gateway used, I will have an option to choose a gateway.

I understand your solution solves the issue, but is it meant to be this way?

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Daniil,

I will consult it internally and post back once I get any updates.

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Daniil,

I got response from PG:

"It’s currently by design that the gateway cannot be changed directly when they go through the “Edit Credentials” flow – the idea is that this flow is primarily used for editing existing credentials, e.g., if you were previously able to connect to the data source but perhaps your credentials have changed. We didn’t want to allow users to change the gateway in this flow because the gateway setting actually applies to the entire Dataflow, and would affect all queries in the Dataflow. It’s true that this makes adding new data sources more cumbersome, but we did not optimize for users using “Blank Query” to add data sources. If you go through the normal “Get Data” flow then you can change the gateway in that flow (and you will be warned that changing the gateway could affect other queries)."

Regards,
Lydia

Daniil
Kudo Kingpin
Thanks, Lydia, I just want to point out that I'm not using the "Edit Credentials" dialog box -- my dialog box is "Enter Credentials". If the product team insists this is by design, fine -- I just find this to be a poor design. Using "Blank Query" as a source is a legitimate option because a lot of things are not exposed in the UI -- SharePoint.Files is one of them. So it's not possible to do it through Get Data as was suggested in your response, unfortunately.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Daniil,

Based on my test, when clicking the Edit credential button, "Enter credentials " window pops up. In your scenario, you can use my method to choose gateway.

Moreover, since the issue is currently by design, some changes may be made for the blank query flow in the future, you can also submit a feature request about this issue in Power BI ideas forum.

Regards,
Lydia

Daniil
Kudo Kingpin

Thanks, Lydia, this issue can now be closed.