Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Unable to authenticate Google organizational account for BigQuery connector

I am trying to use Google BigQuery as a data type in Power BI Desktop and I'm stuck at the authentication step.

--

1. I get to the 'You aren't signed in' step and am under organizational account.

2. I click Sign in and my Edge browser opens, showing my Google accounts.

3. I select the account tied to my BigQuery setup and the screen appears with 'Power BI wants access to your Google Account'.

4. I click allow and the following message appears 'Sign in complete. You can return to the application. Feel free to close this browser tab.' - so I close the tab.

5. In PBI Desktop the Google BigQuery window just hangs for about 5 minutes and then displays the error -  [DataSource.Error] The operation has timed out.

--

When I'm authenticating with any other Google Data set, such as Google Analytics, I also have to authenticate and see a very similar experience, but the credential authentication processes withing seconds, which then allows me to select my data tables to import. 

I'm on the latest version of PBI Desktop and had the exact same issue on the previous version as well. I can't authenticate with any Google Organizational Account to use BigQuery as a datasource. 

Any help would be most appreciated as this is extremely frustrating. All other import tools work fine except for the BigQuery importer. This browser also works to authenticate with Google for other data sources powered by them.

Hi @cobblucas,

Are you using the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.105.664.0 64-bit, May 2022)? I’ve tested with it, and it works properly.

vcazhengmsft_0-1653371204672.png

Once you complete the sign in in your browser, please don’t forget to click on Connect button in the popped window. For more details about how to connect to Google BigQuery from Power BI Desktop, you can refer to Connect to a Google BigQuery database in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

vcazhengmsft_1-1653371204675.png

In addition, you could prolong the timeout in case that the connection need takes more time.

vcazhengmsft_2-1653371204677.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @cobblucas,

Are you using the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.105.664.0 64-bit, May 2022)? I’ve tested with it, and it works properly.

vcazhengmsft_0-1653371204672.png

Once you complete the sign in in your browser, please don’t forget to click on Connect button in the popped window. For more details about how to connect to Google BigQuery from Power BI Desktop, you can refer to Connect to a Google BigQuery database in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

vcazhengmsft_1-1653371204675.png

In addition, you could prolong the timeout in case that the connection need takes more time.

vcazhengmsft_2-1653371204677.png

Best Regards,

cobblucas
Regular Visitor

Correct - I'm on the latest version of Power BI 
two.jpg

I'm getting hung up in the authentication process between signing in to Google in my browser and being able to click the connect button in Power BI. When I connect to other Google services as a data source in Power BI I have to do the same authentication in browser which I do, then I get the same message about closing my window to connect in PBI, but that step takes only about a second or two to complete, when I'm trying to use BigQuery it's sitting for 2+ minutes then I get the timeout error.

Google is correctly authenticating on their side, but the successful authentication is not making it to Power BI desktop. How do I fix this? The same thing happened in the previous version of PBI as well.

This is the error I get and I've even extended the timeout to beyond 5 minutes as you suggested in your image above but it still does not help.

one.jpg

threee.jpg

four.jpg

cobblucas
Regular Visitor

Just an added note - I was able to perform the exact same steps on my windows 11 machine and was able to authenticate without issue. My problem machine is running Windows 10 so that may factor into this?

Problem PC specs

--

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎5/‎29/‎2021
OS build 19044.1706
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @cobblucas,

What kind of browser you are using to complete the authentication? Are you using Microsoft Edge? Could you please try with other browsers? You could modify the authentication browser in Options.

vcazhengmsft_0-1653458491605.png

In addition, did you enable Power BI Desktop infrastructure update option? If it is ticked, could you please check in Task manager to see whether WebView2 runtime has been installed on your machine?

vcazhengmsft_1-1653458491608.png

vcazhengmsft_2-1653458491609.png

Best Regards,

cobblucas
Regular Visitor

I am indeed using Edge to authenticate which is the same browser I was able to authenticate with on my Windows 11 machine as well. I have since changed my default browser to Chrome for this test and it still has the same behavior. I am able to authenticate fully in both browsers, but it hangs in the hand-off between the browser and PowerBI.

Note I also did have the 'Power BI Desktop Infrastructure Update' button checked and did not see WebView 2 installed via task manager. How do I go about resolving that?

cobblucas
Regular Visitor

On a secondary note - when I try to run Power BI Desktop as an Administrator user on my machine I get this warning if it helps

one.jpg