Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unable to Publish Via desktop or upload of pbix to web

HI,

I recently had to re write some reports due to changes made to our data warehouse, initiall i made the changes and attempted to republish the data, however the file would not publish, and just kept spinning.   I unistalled and reinstalled the gateway and powerbi and tried again, and this time recieved an error stating powerbi unable to write data to the transport connection.

I removed all data sets and reports from the web app, saved my pbix file in desktop using a different name, and tried publishing through desktop again, and recieved the following error:  An Error occurred while attempting to publish 'sales information.pbix': Exception of type 'microsoft.powerbi.client.windows.services.powerbiwebexception' was thrown.

I then tried to import the pbix file from the web and recieved this error:

Something went wrong

Failed to publish Power BI Desktop file
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity IDb08c123f-1bae-4f47-8098-44ec00537aee
Request ID67c1d93d-f94c-886f-b968-a556f558a7a2
Correlation ID921421f7-5d8c-df69-5505-d632a4dc1525
Status code-1
TimeThu Sep 07 2017 16:21:26 GMT+0100 (GMT Standard Time)
Version13.0.2278.219

i notice on the service status page there is an awareness flag stating:

We are experiencing a temporary issue where some users may not be able to update their Apps or Content packs. Engineers are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. Next Update by 09/08/2017 11:00 PST

Is this what is causing my problem, of is there another reason?   If this is the issue, is there a work around?

Thanks Dan.

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@youngdand

Your problem seems not to be related to the awareness.

You can try with the latest Sep 2017 version of Power BI Desktop, and also publish from a different network (from office/home) to see if it helps.

If issue persists, I suggest you to create a support ticket at http://support.powerbi.com (see bottom of page). Fiddler traces during the repro should be helpful.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Herbert

youngdand
Regular Visitor

HI,

@v-haibl-msft

I followed your advice, and submitted a support ticket, but its now been 12 days, and still don't have a fix for this.  How long does it normally take for issues to be resolved?  last i heard it was escalated to the Product team, and that was Monday 16/09/2017.  this is a long time for BI reporting to be down for,  is their a route for escalation?

Thanks,

Dan.

Update:

I have recieved a reply from support today advising that they found a corrupt file in the PBIX and the attempt to Republish after refreshing the queries in query editor, however a number of custom tables were missing from the returned file.  I will attempt to republish later today, but a number of created tables (copies of date tables) were missing from the returned file, so these need to be readded in order for the report to function.

Cheers,

Dan.

gmaciel
Advocate I

Hi,

I'm having this same problem here. Sometimes when I save the file and then reopen it, it works. I can't identify what is causing the error. Refreshing the file also works sometimes, but the error always comes back after some time.

Any update on this issue?

youngdand
Regular Visitor

After a lot of toing and froing, and being told my Pbix was currupt and having various fixes applied.  It turned out to be some of the dell sonic walls preconfigured firewall rules blocking some of the required connections.  Unfortunately i cannot give any more detail than that as my IT department took over this aspect.

youngdand
Regular Visitor

just as a note, even powerbi support were not able to identify the connection issues from the log files and a wireshark trace.