Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Unable to Login to the Power BI Desktop since January Update

Hi Guys, 

This morning i was able to login and publish my file to the Power BI web service; this afternoon i downloaded the latest January update and since then i am unable to login to the Desktop app. I get the message "Unable to login. Details: One or more errors have occured". Thats it. Any advice? I cant reset my password for my BI account as it is connected to my Microsoft Account, re-installing has not fixed. Clearing my permission/cache has not fixed. 

Many thanks

Scott

Comments
smchan00
Regular Visitor

Having the same issue

v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi @Scott_Edgerton,

I can't reproduce it. Could you please provide the trace files? You can send me a private message.

Unable_to_Login_to_the_Power_BI_Desktop_since_January_Update

Or you can create a support ticket here.

create ATicket

Please pay attention to your privacy.

Best Regards,

Dale

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Scott_Edgerton
Regular Visitor

HI Dale,

I have sent you a PM regarding the above. 

Thanks!

Scott

Panhead

I'm getting the same error message in PBI Desktop since my first attept to publish a new report after installing the January update. I am able to access app.powerbi.com with the same account. Is there a known issue/resolution here? Thanks in advance.

Rick

Scott_Edgerton
Regular Visitor

Rick, 

I am still suffereing with the same error. My online app.powerbi.com is also working fine; just displaying the version of my report before the error started. I have not heard anything back from Dale above yet RE a solution. 

Scott

Panhead

Scott,

OK, thanks. I have been able to upload the updated .pbix via app.powerbi.com, so can see an updated version of the report but this is obvioulsy not ideal. I'll post if I find a resolution.

Rick 

prateekraina
Memorable Member

Experiencing same issue starting today. It was all fine till yesterday.

Panhead

I appear to have resolved my issue for now. The steps I undertook are as follows:

1. Initial error message from PBIDesktop (Jan 2018 update):ErrorMessage_01.png
  2. Uninstalled PBIDesktop
  3. Manually removed PBIDesktop files from default folder that were not deleted during uninstall
  4. Installed older (September '17) PBIDesktop
  5. Turned on diagnostic logging in PBIDesktop
  6. Attempted log in again
  7. Received more useful error message:ErrorMessage_02.png
  8. Checked PBIDesktop diagnostic logs which also suggested web authentication was failing

9. Cleared recent cookies from Chrome and IE

10. Reset IE as default browser (had been Chrome although this hadn't caused a problem before)

11. Still unable to log in, so uninstalled PBIDesktop (September '17 update) again.
  12. 2 days later, installed PowerBI Desktop, but this time from the Windows Store ( to my Windows 10 OS). I noted that the downloaded file was described with a different file size to the download from the Power BI site - may or may not be relevant.
  13. Attempted log in which succeeded.
  14. Attempted log with different (demo) credentials to a different Power BI service instance - also successfully
  15. Next day, lost ability to sign in temporarily and received the same, not so useful error message shown in 1. above, then regained sign in access/authentication 2 hours later with no apparent changes to the local configuration. 

If the above is useful in helping anyone else diagnose the CAUSE of these intermittent authentication issues, I suspect a number of people would appreciate receiving that information, myself included. This is a great tool for Customers when it works (which is most of the time).

Rick