Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unable to Install Power BI Gateway

Hi,

I am unable to install Power BI Gateway Installer.

My Machine Specifications:

Installed memory (RAM): 8GB

Processor: i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz

Office Version: 2010 (32 Bit)

Power BI (32 Bit)

Mentioned below is the message I am getting.

"PowerBIGatewayInstaller has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Please close the program."

Request your extended support in resolving the same.

Thanks & Regards

Vikram.

Comments
PeacefulBeing
Frequent Visitor

Hi Qiuyun Yu

I have tried setting Full Control for everyone/all users, disabling all security (Firewalls/Defender/...) but with no succes, still can't install the latest version of GatewayInstall & PowerBiInstall.

kadingo
Helper II

I have been facing exactly the same problem on both Windows 10 & Windows Server 2012 R2 machines ever since this updated was release. 

After installing the October update for Power BI desktop, i decided to give the On-Premises Data Gateway another try today and BOOM, the installtion succeeded right away with out any hustle.

Note that i downloaded the file afresh. So now i'm running the September update as seen below.

So i suggest every one still having this to download the file again and give a try. 

Capture.JPG

indiza
Regular Visitor

Thank you @kadingo !!!!  ... the installer I just downloaded now works, even thought the Date Published still states 9/21/2018

Microsoft, your mishandling of this mess has been SHOCKING!!!

splaxi
Frequent Visitor

@indiza @kadingo

Could you share the direct link you guys downloaded from?

RadiantToxicBot
Regular Visitor

@kadingo @indiza

Have you guys installed any new updates?

I've been downloading a fresh version of both the "PowerBIGatewayInstaller" and "GatewayInstall" every day and this still doesn't work for me

indiza
Regular Visitor

The download that worked for me today is same one I've used all along ..

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53127

Screenshot 2018-10-19 at 12.05.04.png

EDIT: I noticed the exe file downloaded today has a proper icon (blue background with white cloud) whereas it previously just had a generic icon.

kadingo
Helper II

@splaxi Following is the direct link to the download i used. https://download.microsoft.com/download/D/A/1/DA1FDDB8-6DA8-4F50-B4D0-18019591E182/GatewayInstall.ex...

Alternatively, if you have a previous installation of the gateway that you want to update, you could just log into your gateway and you will a message saying there is a new version along with download link.

PeacefulBeing
Frequent Visitor

That still doesn't work for me. I've tried from the gateway, provided links, nothing but the one that microsoft gave me (May version) works.

RadiantToxicBot
Regular Visitor

Still no luck installing. Checked for OS updates and found the below

Updates 1.png

Updates 2.png

Installed both the important and optional updates and still it refuses to run. Just what have you done MS?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

PG team are not able to reproduce the issue internally, even on 2012 R2. Please make sure you have installed the very latest version of .NET framework. If there is a customer with a consistent problem, if you are willing to join a call with PG team then I will help you create a bridge. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu