Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unable to Install Power BI Gateway

Hi,

I am unable to install Power BI Gateway Installer.

My Machine Specifications:

Installed memory (RAM): 8GB

Processor: i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz

Office Version: 2010 (32 Bit)

Power BI (32 Bit)

Mentioned below is the message I am getting.

"PowerBIGatewayInstaller has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Please close the program."

Request your extended support in resolving the same.

Thanks & Regards

Vikram.

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 weeks without any solution!!!

pedrorodriguez
Regular Visitor

I have the same error on a server 2012 r2.

gatewayError.png

Any news about if they are working on this?

RadiantToxicBot
Regular Visitor

I dont believe it.jpgOk so after weeks of our directors / analysts and various other higher ups screaming at IT for not being able to update the gateways I think I've finally found the reason why the installer won't run.

InvalidCertificate.PNG

Can you guys please re-release the update with a valid Certificate? People are desperate for this.

splaxi
Frequent Visitor

Great findings!

I not totally sure that you found the root cause for the failing installation. The very first installation failed long before the expiration date on the certificate that you found from the package. This threaded started back in 09/24/2018, more than 1 month earlier than the certificate expiration date.

Please remeber that the "PowerBIGatewayInstaller.exe" is nothing but a simple user interface to guide the users to download either the "recommended" (named enterprise earlier) installer or simply install the "Personal Mode". Most people have no issues with installing the "Personal Mode", in matter of the fact I did complete a total installation of the "Personal Mode" option yesterday.

You can actually download the On-premesis Data Gateway (GatewayInstall.exe) directly from Microsoft Dowload (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53127) and that file also fails directly. I expect that file to be downloaded in the background when using the "PowerBIGatewayInstaller.exe" program. So if you are trying to install the "Recommended" option, I would arguee that it doesn't have anything to do with the specific certificate

I can say that I tried to extract the content from the GatewayInstall.exe file. It indicates that it was built with something called WIX Toolset (http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/). I believe it is Open Source on GITHUB (https://github.com/wixtoolset). I have trying to run several commands against the exe file, that should extract the content if the file isn't corrupt.

RadiantToxicBot
Regular Visitor

Hi Spaxi,

The certificate expired on 11/08/2018 which is before the published date of the latest release 21/9/2018.

You are correct that in the above image I'm looking at the combined installer that does both Personal and Non-Personal modes.

Looking back at my old installers (I always keep the old executables). Both the "GatewayInstall" and "PowerBIGatewayInstaller" are digitally signed, however the latest release isn't digitally signed.

Below Picture: Old installer on the Left and the latest installer on the right. These are both the "GatewayInstall" non-combined installers.

InvalidCertificate2.PNG

I agree that this may not be the root cause however it's something that is easy to overlook, and I bet Microsoft's test environment doesn't even check the Certificates.

splaxi
Frequent Visitor

Do you still have an older version of the GatewayInstall.exe laying around?

If you are correct that the older version of GatewayInstall.exe was digital signed, I would guess that you're closer to finding the real issue than not. Having the new one not signed, if all previous onces have been signed, and the newest ins't, then we have something that we can share with Microsoft Support.

Could you share some screenshots with the rest of us with the digital signatures on the older versions?

I trying to get hold on to the correct support team that actually owns the On-Premesis Data Gateway and report the issue. The PowerBI support team didn't feel it was their task to assist me getting a hold onto the correct team that could help me investigate this issue further.

Update

I wasn't able to see your screenshots when I wrote this respons. Could you drill into the properties of the signature on the old version? Could you share the version number of the old one? Could you upload the old installer somewhere for me to download? It could prove valuable when I need to talk with Microsoft Support. 

RadiantToxicBot
Regular Visitor

I've uploaded the June installers to a website called WeTransfer, I haven't used it before but it looks legit.

June PBI Installers: Link (https://we.tl/t-dkoHfLKa3B)

pedrorodriguez
Regular Visitor

I have an installer for February this year. I hope this helps to find the error that we all have.

Here is the link: https://we.tl/t-BXWCvY8OcU

JaspaJami
Regular Visitor

Thanks RadiantToxicBot, with that one i was able to install gateway.

splaxi
Frequent Visitor

You guys rock!

I have used the Wix Toolset (dark.exe) to extract the files from the releases that you just shared. This works like expected and gave me an output with all the internal files from the "GatewayInstall.exe" file.

I'm unable to do the same on the newest release - so that indicates that my suspicion that the package it self was broke might be true afterall. What is broken about the package I can't say, it might be the certificate, it might be something else.

Now I just need to find the product team that owns the On-premesis Data Gateway...

If anyone has the August release of the GatewayInstall.exe laying around and be able to share it, it would make my life a little easier in the long run.