Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Unable to Install Power BI Gateway

Hi,

I am unable to install Power BI Gateway Installer.

My Machine Specifications:

Installed memory (RAM): 8GB

Processor: i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz

Office Version: 2010 (32 Bit)

Power BI (32 Bit)

Mentioned below is the message I am getting.

"PowerBIGatewayInstaller has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Please close the program."

Request your extended support in resolving the same.

Thanks & Regards

Vikram.

Comments
CastorTroy

Exact same problem as ErwinV on Windows 2012 R2. Fresh install of gateway, not installed on this machine before. Errors as soon as click exe. 

Tried insalling newer .net frameworks but same issue. 

CastorTroy

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: GatewayInstall.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 561d8cdc
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.3.9600.18895
Fault Module Timestamp: 5a4b127e
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0009d4e2
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.272.7
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 1abe
Additional Information 2: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8
Additional Information 3: 1abe
Additional Information 4: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=280262

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 86438995. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

chavdinho
Regular Visitor

All, an update

It seems as though I have managed to resolve this issue in our pre-production environment.

I've noticed that the PowerBIGatewayInstaller exe is somewhat flaky, and sometimes launces the GatewayInstaller.exe, sometimes it doesnt and crashes out complete. After trying several times to launch this, it's been able to install on our Windows 2012 R2 server this morning. This has allowed my to register a Gateway Cluster and add a test Data Source.

For anyone interested, once the installation completes, change the Gateway service to run under the context of a Windows Service Account, then connect to the regional hub where Power BI is hosted for you. It should authenticate.

RadiantToxicBot
Regular Visitor

Any word back from MS?

The rest us still can't get the executable to work no matter how many times we run it. 

Shamatix
Post Partisan

Same issue here! None of our customers can have their reports refreshed at this point...

This should be a top priority by a mile!

ErwinV
Regular Visitor

We've got the Gateway up and running again, just as @chavdinho says. It's flaky, delete some folders, fiddle around a bit with the personal edition (which does install), cancel the installation at some point and when you get lucky it will install.

Really sorry I can't be more specific in how we fixed it, it just... Worked...

I agree with @Shamatix this should be a top priority, anybody who tries to do an update destroys their connection. At least remove the update notification form Power BI until this is fixed.

Harrington
Regular Visitor

I also have exactly the same issue .

Application popup: GatewayInstall.exe - Application Error : The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application. 

indiza
Regular Visitor

Same issue here!

On Windows Server 2012 ... 0xc0000005

On Windows 10 ... fails silently

Come on Microsoft ... our project is stuck because we can't install the Gateway!