Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Unable to Install Power BI Gateway

Hi,

I am unable to install Power BI Gateway Installer.

My Machine Specifications:

Installed memory (RAM): 8GB

Processor: i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz

Office Version: 2010 (32 Bit)

Power BI (32 Bit)

Mentioned below is the message I am getting.

"PowerBIGatewayInstaller has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Please close the program."

Request your extended support in resolving the same.

Thanks & Regards

Vikram.

Comments
RadiantToxicBot
Regular Visitor

I'm also receiving the same error. Updated windows server 2012 before attempting to update PBI Gateway.

If I run the installer on my laptop the installer will run. Tried on two different instances of windows server 2012 and its the same.

Event Viewer shows the below:

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: GatewayInstall.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 561d8cdc
P4: ntdll.dll
P5: 6.3.9600.18895
P6: 5a4b127e
P7: c0000005
P8: 0009d4e2
P9:
P10:

Faulting application name: GatewayInstall.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x561d8cdc
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18895, time stamp: 0x5a4b127e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0009d4e2
Faulting process id: 0x944
Faulting application start time: 0x01d453ffe8c9b8f1
Faulting application path: C:\DBA\PBI\2018\09-Sept\GatewayInstall.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 2678a712-bff3-11e8-80d7-00155d01692a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Todays windows server 2012 updates:

2018-09 Security Only Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2 for Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 for x64 (KB4457916)

Installation date: ‎24/‎09/‎2018 10:18

Installation status: Succeeded

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

2018-09 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB4457129)

Installation date: ‎24/‎09/‎2018 10:17

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB4339284)

Installation date: ‎24/‎09/‎2018 10:08

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

2018-09 Security Only Quality Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB4457143)

Installation date: ‎24/‎09/‎2018 10:06

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - August 2018 (KB890830)

Installation date: ‎24/‎09/‎2018 10:05

After the download, this tool runs one time to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any infection that is found. If an infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time that you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center, or you can run an online version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an antivirus product.

2018-09 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2 for Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 for x64 (KB4457920)

Installation date: ‎24/‎09/‎2018 10:02

2018-09 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based systems (KB4457426)

Installation date: ‎24/‎09/‎2018 10:00

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @vikrammankar@RadiantToxicBot

Please find gateway logs and event log for gateway follow this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot#tools-for-troubleshooting, and upload them to your OneDrive, share the link with me. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

RadiantToxicBot
Regular Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft

The PowerBI Gateway is running fine on both servers with version 14.16.6792.1 (August 2018)

The error occurs when I try to run the latest installer to update the gateway. The installer instantly fails with the below error shown in the event viewer

Faulting application name: GatewayInstall.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x561d8cdc
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18895, time stamp: 0x5a4b127e
Exception code: 0xc0000005

I've tried going through the recommendations found on this site but sadly none of them help

JaspaJami
Regular Visitor

I have new Windows Server 2016 without earlier version of Gateway. Now when i start installation it gives also for me that "Exception code: 0xc0000005" and installation crashes.

RadiantToxicBot
Regular Visitor

Thanks for your input JaspaJami, I was begining to think I'd lost my mind.

I've tried running the "GatewayInstall" file on my Windows 10 Laptop (LTS Branch) which runs fine and instantly pops up with the Defender SmartScreen window.

01.PNG

02.PNG

This makes me wonder if the issue is to do with the Defender SmartScreen OR if its the fact that the Publisher isn't recognized.

Tried changing the SmartScreen settings in Server 2012 from "Don't do anything" to "Warn before running an unrecognized app " and it's still just the same

03.PNG

JaspaJami
Regular Visitor

For me i started to think that it can be F-secure antivirus that is cosing that one. Problem is that at least right now i cannot uninstall it for testing

RadiantToxicBot
Regular Visitor

We've created a test environment for trying out PBI updates due to issues in the past. This environment doesn't have any anti-virus on it and is pretty much just a bare bones setup.

Once we confirm that the update works fine with our BI Analysis team then it gets pushed to the live environment.

So I'm confident that it's not an anti-virus issue as the latest installer refuses to run on a freshly installed Win server 2012 with just the windows updates and the PBI gateway installed.

Guust
Regular Visitor

I´m running into issues as well. I´ve installed multiple Enterprise Gateways but since the latest update I cant seem to finish the installation process. 

RadiantToxicBot
Regular Visitor

Installed new windows update today and it's still the same.

Uninstalled all updates for the last week and again the new installer won't run.

Has any progress been made on this issue?

At this rate we may have to look into using an alternative product