Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

UNKOWN ERROR MESSAGE: Failed to create MIP Context

After installing DEC 2020 Update and activating all the new preview features, I haven't be able to open any .PBIX file always receiving the next message:
"Failed to Create MIP Context"
This are the details:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)
Timestamp:
2020-12-28T17:04:06.2802799Z
Local Time:
2020-12-28T12:04:06.2802799-05:00
Session ID:
01fee3e6-f630-45e9-bcf5-fbe4c7884e86
Release:
December 2020
Product Version:
2.88.802.0 (20.12) (x64)
Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Eim.InformationProtection.Mip.MipClientFactory.CreateMipContext(ClusterInfo clusterInfo)
   at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()
   at System.Lazy`1.LazyInitValue()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Eim.InformationProtection.Mip.MipClientFactory.CreateMipClientHelper()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Eim.InformationProtection.InformationProtectionManager.IsStreamLabeled(Stream stream)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Eim.InformationProtection.FileInformationProtectionManager.<SignInAndDecryptStreamAsync>d__13.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.<LoadFromPbix>d__24.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.<>c__DisplayClass15_0`1.<<BlockUIAndRun>b__0>d.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.WaitOnUIThreadForTaskCompletion[T](Task`1 task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.BlockUIAndRun[T](Func`1 asyncMethod)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.OpenFile(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IPbixFile fileToOpen, Nullable`1 entryPoint)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<Main>b__1()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.88.802.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Eim.InformationProtection.Mip.MipClientFactory","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Eim.InformationProtection.Mip.Exceptions.MipClientInternalErrorException","MethodDef":"CreateMipContext","ErrorOffset":"189"}
InnerException0.Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.InformationProtection.Utils.SafeKernel32NativeMethods.LoadLibrary(String dllToLoad)
   at Microsoft.InformationProtection.Utils.Loader.LoadDlls(String dllFolder, String dllName, String[] dllDependencies)
   at Microsoft.InformationProtection.MIP.Initialize(MipComponent mipComponent, String path)
   at Microsoft.InformationProtection.MIP.CreateMipContext(ApplicationInfo appInfo, String path, LogLevel logLevel, ILoggerDelegate loggerDelegateOverride, TelemetryConfiguration telemetryOverride, Dictionary`2 featureSettingsOverride)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Eim.InformationProtection.Mip.MipClientFactory.CreateMipContext(ClusterInfo clusterInfo)
OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.18363.0 (x64 es-MX)
CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 528040]
Peak Virtual Memory:
37.9 GB
Private Memory:
309 MB
Peak Working Set:
399 MB
IE Version:
User ID:
7363190b-086e-43f3-b591-ed4b95910424
Telemetry Enabled:
True
DPI Scale:
100%
Supported Services:
Power BI

Hope you can help me ASAP, thank you in advance.
Comments
VijayP
Super User

Try unselect information protection in Preview features and restart the Powerbi Desktop , it works!

one of my student got this issue and we tested and it worked!!

AnalisisDCHPeru

Thank you very much @VijayP . That was the solution.
I wonder why did that happen, since i've got the same files in other Laptop and works pretty good.

VijayP
Super User

Iam not too sure why it is happening! may be it is specific to laptop configuration . Because my reports were working absolutely fine but my student had got this issue and she was not able to continue training, and we tried this and it worked . Thought I can share the same solution with you.

Happy that you have got your reports back.

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@AnalisisDCHPeru 

I tried the latest version but cannot reproduce the issue. You may also try earlier versions from Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop.