Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Transform date to weeknumer in year gives the wrong result

I have a date - and by right-clicking on the header -> Transform -> Week -> Week of year, I get the weeknumber.

However, the weeknumber provided does not fit with the calendar - as we should be in week 1now.

Power BI starts with week one 1. January which is a Friday and not a Sunday, which I read is the start day in Power BI (though I think it should be Monday).

Anyone having the same isue/know whar to to?

Transform date to weeknumber.PNG

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi  @Anders_No 

Just add a parameter in the M code as below manually:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Week of Year", each Date.WeekOfYear([Date],Day.Monday), Int64.Type)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/date-weekofyear

Syntax

Date.WeekOfYear(dateTime as any, optional firstDayOfWeek as nullable number) as nullable number

About

Returns a number from 1 to 54 indicating which week of the year the date, dateTime, falls in.

• dateTime: A datetime value for which the week-of-the-year is determined.

• firstDayOfWeek: An optional Day.Type value that indicates which day is considered the start of a new week (for example, Day.Sunday. If unspecified, a culture-dependent default is used.

2.JPG

Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a feeling the problem is much broader. DAX WEEKNUM also gives incorrect values since 1 jan 2021 compared to the Outlook calendar and a google search.

Anders_No
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-lili6-msft 

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi @Anders_No 

clicking on the header -> Transform -> Week -> Week of year, I get the weeknumber.

please try the way as below
clicking on the header -> Add Column -> Week -> Week of year, then add a parameter in the M code and get the weeknumber.

Now you could remove basic date column.

here is my M code, please try it.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("VdC5CcAwFATRXhQbpN0vX7UI99+GcWDYCSd7zFpNXd3Das/2hTMqY2bsGUfGmXFl3BkaKBgEhKAQGIJDgAgSgSJYDIv5AxbDYlgMi2ExLIbFsBQsFRZ3hDMqY2b8qOcF", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}}),
    #"Inserted Week of Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Week of Year", each Date.WeekOfYear([Date],Day.Monday), Int64.Type),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Inserted Week of Year",{"Date"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Regards,

Lin

Anders_No
Regular Visitor

Thankyou very much again @v-lili6-msft!

I tried adding a column as suggested, however the weeknumers are the same..,

My code is:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns3", "Week of Year", each Date.WeekOfYear([Created],Day.Monday), Int64.Type)

I'm not sure what part of your code I alternately should copy/paste where - I don't have a lot of coding experience...

Regards

Anders.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anders_No 

What is your expectation?

Isnt this the same problem as here? https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/DAX-WEEKNUM-gives-incorrect-values-since-jan-1st-2021/idi-p/...

That post is about DAX WEEKNUM but maybe it behaves exactly the same as your problem (maybe shared code)?

Anders_No
Regular Visitor

Hi @Anonymous 

yes, that's exactly the same problem!

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi  @Anders_No 

here is my simple sample pbix file, please try it.

and please share your sample data and your expected output.

Regards,

Lin

Anders_No
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-lili6-msft 

I have uploaded my sample file here.

Regards

Anders.

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi  @Anders_No 

I check your sample pbix file, do you mean that weeknum for 1-1-2021 / 2-1-2021 / 3-1-2021 should be 53? it likes ISO 8601 definition?

if so, it couldn't be achieve that use built-in function to get it in power bi for now, because this is designed by default like DAX WEEKNUM function in power bi for now, I would suggest you use the logic to custom coding it by dax or do it in datasource(SQL) then import it.

This is documented here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/weeknum-function-dax

Regards,

Lin