Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Timezone not displaying correctly in Cloud service

Odd behavior in Cloud vs Desktop... PBID displays the time with zone (-7) as expected, cloud service does not.

Left side is cloud service, right side is PBID.

Very simple 'Refreshed' Query...entered a value into the 'Enter Data', added a custom column, deleted sample data:
let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlSKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", Int64.Type}}),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Last Refreshed", each DateTime.AddZone(DateTime.LocalNow(),-7)),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Column1"})
in
#"Removed Columns"

Expected behavior or bug?

Capture.JPG

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@erikskov

I just copied your query into Advanced Editor of my PBI Desktop and create a table visual. After I published it to PBI Service, the time zone still could be shown properly.

Could you please check that you give enough space to the table visual to display the time zone? You can try to edit the report and resize the table visual to make it wider.

Timezone not displaying correctly in Cloud service_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

erikskov
Advocate II

Correct, but as soon as you refrehs the dataset in the cloud, the timezone goes away.

Before:

Capture.JPG

After:

Capture.JPG

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@erikskov

I can repro the same issue as you now. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 31218589

I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@erikskov

I’ve got response from the product team. This is a known gap, the time zone in the service is effectively always set to UTC.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

DolEgon22
Advocate II
This is not a solution. We need to be able to deliver reports/dashboards with time series data across the globe in multiple time zones. Telling our users to live with it and calculate in their heads the actual time is simply not acceptable. When is this going to be fixed?