Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

This visual has exceeded the available resources

I started getting the error "This visual has exceeded the available resources. Try filtering to decrease the amount of data displayed." The error itself is clear and obvious. But the problem is that I am starting to get it on the same data model and on the same report(s) which before were capable of handling all this data without any issues. Are there any limitations introduced from PowerBI service side?

Comments
Domantas
Advocate I

And by the way, what kind of "resources" is meant by this? Is it in data model, on the cloud or something as well related with internet connection speed?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Domantas,

The issue has been reported before internally: CRI 31505741. 

The error message indicates that the query is fetching more data than allowed by the PBI Service (which has stricter limits than PBI Desktop). Please follow up with the customer to determine how to reduce the amount of data returned -- either by splitting the query into multiple queries or filtering the query. Note that filtering needs to be done in the query source text, not in the report, to reduce the amount of data returned from the source.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

Domantas
Advocate I

Thanks, would it be possible to know this limit in PowerBi Service? (if this is measurable somehow). Just as a good guidance point to know when and how much to reduce things.

denR
Advocate I

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft, if I interpret your answer correctly, there are limits in both Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service when querying data. When it comes to tables, could you say anything about the number or rows and columns that are within the limits?

I noticed though that when I click refresh in Power BI Desktop, visuals that produced this error might get loaded on the second try. This indicates that there is more at play than just the amount of data returned (maybe some form of caching is involved). Do you know to what the limits apply? E.g. the server hosting SSAS, the laptop running Power BI Desktop (or the laptop with a browser going to Power BI Service), or something at Microsofts side?

I'm investigating whether I could upgrade resources to prevent this error message, I would appreciate any information about this topic.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft  This issue is happening for an embedded report but only in the production environment. The dashboards are working fine in the Dev and QA environments.
The dev,QA and production databases contains the same data. and the production environment is scaled up compared to the dev and QA.
Any ideas on this?