Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

This report couldn't access the data source. Contact XY, the report author to get it fixed.

Hi, 

for some users above error message pops up and they are not able to access anything in the report. 

However (!), the mystery here is, that they are able to see the content of other reports that are using exactly the same data source (analysis services, cube). 

We also tested the access rights of the data source and all is fine there. 

So something seems to be buggy in the reports. 

FYI: I just copy pasted the entire report content to a new file, connected to exactly the same datasource and it worked. 

As I cannot and do not want to rebuild all reports we have every once in a while I am wondering whether you can help me to know how to fix this error message? 

1000 thanks! Very much Looking forward and please let me know if you would like to see any more info

Jana

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

FYI: I just copy pasted the entire report content to a new file, connected to exactly the same datasource and it worked. 

One thing need to be acknowledged is how did you "copy" the entire report? Have you use the template pbit file?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jimmy,

what do you mean with "template pbit file"? Where can I find this, when I zip the pbix file?

No, I did it in a very rough and not smooth way, we have a template file (with all design etc) then I just opened the old report and manually copy-pasted all visuals + formulas (re-created all measures) into the new file.

Took me approx 1 hour. So everything else but smooth ;). Please also let me know if you know of any smoother solution for this 🙂 would be great. 

However, as stated above, sopy.pasting and creating a new report should not be the solution to my issue..

1000 thanks for your support