Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

There's Not Enough Memory To Complete This Operation

Unable to refresh a dataset from the Dataset page on the PBI service. The PBIX file is around 540Mb on our laptop. The workspace has 9Gb+ of available memory. But starting last night we are unable to refresh the dataset with message below:

Processing error.There's not enough memory to complete this operation. Please try again later when there may be more memory available. Memory error: Memory Allocation failure : The paging file is too small for this operation to complete. . Try simplifying or reducing the number of queries.
Cluster URIWABI-US-NORTH-CENTRAL-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity IDb5808310-5d56-4a86-9101-4d2f673c93bd
Request ID1a75fbe5-1eff-3de9-e1de-eb1decad3a06
Time2019-04-23 16:21:51Z

Single datasource is from an Azure SQL DW. Biggest table has 70M rows in it. File size of PBIX is 540Mb (containing all data). Vertipaq analyzer report shows it takes up 1.3 Gb of memory. 

Just not able to refresh the dataset on the service.
Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @kr77025

Please try to reduce the data in Power BI desktop then republish the report to service, refresh the dataset to see if the same issue occurs. 

Do you assign any Premium SKU for the app workspace? If it is, please check if there are two many dataset refresh at the same time. You can check Model Refresh Parallelism: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-what-is#capacity-nodes

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

kr77025
Frequent Visitor

Yes, i found that i can successfully refresh the data in PBI desktop with 20M rows in the fact table, but fails when processing 30M rows.

When monitoring memory consumed by PBI on my desktop during processing, I found by watching task manager that during reading of the fact table, the memory doesn't go much more than 1.5 gb, but once reading rows is complete, the memory jumps to 12.5 gb but then goes back down again to 1.5 gb. Is this expected that memory should go up to 12.5 gb? I think this could be the cause of the error message?

Again, previously, i was able to process up to 70M rows of data but now i can't process 30M rows. Very strange.

The file size is less than 500 mb. And we're posting to a Pro workspace.

kr77025
Frequent Visitor

One more piece of info. I was able to process the data set successfully on my laptop that is one release behind on its version of PBI. So either:

1. The latest release has a bug in it or
  2. We introduced new elements in this PBI file that are disabled on my laptop since it’s not the latest release and those new elements have a problem with them.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @kr77025

I would suggest you create a support ticket to get support. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

kallevaataja
Regular Visitor

@kr77025 did you get this solved? Since 23rd of December I've had similar issues (I updated the on premises gateway close to that date, not sure if that could be the cause). I've tried ticketing Microsoft with the same error message and sent them the pbix-file with similar data size but they seem to have no answers and the employee answering me seems to be giving the same "try to simplify your model" answers over and over again even though it has worked fine earlier even when it was more complex.