Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

osantamaria
Frequent Visitor

The same date format is not shown in the model as in the report table visualization

Comment send to the forum

I have created a model with all Regional/Language configuration in Spanish (OS, Chrome Browser and Desktop) and the format for ALL date fields was configured as *dd/MM/yyyy (with asterisk), but some final users are Americans and when they open the report, they see some visualizations in the same Spanish date format like those fields were created (dd/MM/yyyy) but they need that date format is defined like MM/dd/yyyy. So, it would seem that the *asterisk format doesn't work properly.

I didn't find any solution for that, even after reviewing several pages that talk about this issue and making different changes in the Regional/Language configurations.

But using the Desktop tool I realized that the date format in the 'model' does follow the rule about the *asterisk format, and when the Regional configuration is changed, the values in those date fields are showed in the correct format and use the format of the selected Region, but this is not true for some visualizations in the report. The format, for instance, for a type of visualization: 'table', inside the report is always the format used in the Regional configuration in which the model was created, not taken into account the *asterisk format of the date. In contract, the 'slicers' for dates work properly, showing the correct date format, depending on the Regional configuration.

And this 'bad' rule is kept in the Cloud (Power BI service). I didn't check any other visualizations.

Is that an issue of the Desktop, the *asterisk date format or am I doing something wrong?

PS: I used this link as a basis of my analysis: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/supported-languages-countries-regions

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@osantamaria ,

Have you changed the windows default language as below?

1. In Power BI Desktop, go to File > Options and settings > Options.
  2. Under Global Settings, select Regional Settings.
  3. In the Application Language box, select a different locale.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
osantamaria
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-yuta-msft 

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry but I not sure your answer is sense for my purpose.

I am the creator of the reports and I am using my own configuration language on my laptop but I'd want that when I upload those reports to the Power BI Services (Cloud), the people from different regions could see the date format in their own languages.

This is the reason why my configuration for the Application Language inside the GLOBAL Regional Settings in my Desktop was set up to 'Use windows default display Language' and I used the * asterisk date format in the reports.

But people from USA are seeing the date format in the date format I created the reports (Spanish format).

If I change the configuration of my laptop to a specific region/country, like for instance USA, people from Europe would see the date format in that USA date format, I think.

Thank you 

Oscar

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@osantamaria ,

Have you changed the windows default language as below?

1. In Power BI Desktop, go to File > Options and settings > Options.
  2. Under Global Settings, select Regional Settings.
  3. In the Application Language box, select a different locale.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.