Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

The refresh to default button is gone when filtered via URL

I have a set up where I publish a report, then from the navigation pane, provide URLs that filter to a particular entity on that report. This functionality works well. But, when you come to the report from the filtered URL, the "Reset to default" button is missing. 

If I navigate to the (unfiltered by URL) version of the report, the button is there:

DataZoe_0-1620054840843.png

Problem: If go to the report via the filterd URL, the button dissappears:

DataZoe_2-1620054996460.png

This is my filter statement:

?filter=Company/Company eq 'Entity Name' and Operating/Operating eq 'OP'

DataZoe_3-1620055141198.png

Additionally, if I go to the report via the Dashboard, from a pinned Visual (without a custom filter URL -- just the default URL), the button shows but is greyed out:

DataZoe_4-1620055243283.png

Expected result: The expected behavior would be that the filtered URL would have the button available (and it would clear the custom filter), and that was the behavior I saw last month.

Current workaround: If I go to Bookmarks --> Show more bookmarks, then click around a bit on the existing bookmarks, the "Reset to default" will appear and work again.

Thank you!

Comments
DataZoe
Employee

Oops, I meant the title to be "Reset" not "Refresh". Sorry!

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

I have reported this issue internally, ICM: 239599701

will update here once I get any information.

Regards,

Lin

DataZoe
Employee

thank you @v-lili6-msft !

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

I get this from pg:

This is expected and by design 

Regards,
Lin
DataZoe
Employee

Thanks @v-lili6-msft , I appreciate the follow up!

I offer two final observations on this issue:

If the intended funcitonality is to remove the "reset to default" option when filtering via URL, I think it would be easier for the end-user to show it greyed out (like it does when coming from a dashboard) instead of removing it entirely. 

And my final feedback is I am not seeing why this is a feature (what value does it add to the user of the report?) -- as a user of a report, if I am directed to a report in a pre-filtered form (from a dashboard or via a filtered url), I would like to have the option to return the report to default view. 

Once it's filtered via the url, it will keep that (without persistent filtering being turned off), and while you can return it to a default view by:

1. clearing those italizied filters in the filter pane
  2. or removing the filtering portion of the URL and refreshing the page
  3. or clicking on a bookmark in the report,

why is the easiest option ("Reset to Default") removed?

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

PG said it is expected and by design,

for feedback and suggestion, you could post it in here:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/

Regards,

Lin